blended schooling

I have no idea what it is called, but I would like to both put my son in regular school and do home schooling. I would like to hear from people who are doing this (have done this). Is it better, or does it just become too over whelming. Are there any good websites I can look up for this type of thing.
I am really new to all of this and while I would love to home school I am not sure that I would have the discipline it takes to do that. I am also afraid of my child falling behind because I am not able to teach him properly. I think some sort of blended program might be right.
Right now he is too young for school so it wont be fore a while, I am just trying to learn as much as I can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in

• Have you looked into online schooling?
    www.k12.com
    or www.iqacademy.com
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:36 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• What do you mean do both? Do you mean still help him at home while he's in school? Responsible parents do that. It's called parenting.

Or do you mean send him to school part time and home school part time? 

Anonymous

• You should talk to the school. Some schools, by law, don't permit homeschoolers to participate in any core classes (language arts, science, social sciences like geography, history, civics, and mathematics) but allow them to attend art, music, band, foreign languages, etc. Some private schools may allow you send your child to whatever class you choose and charge you on a per class basis.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:40 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Do you mean a public school they do from home? Those are called Virtual schools and there are two major programs and not all states have them available. If your state does allow this option, you get all the materials, computer, and access to a teacher free of charge. A previous poster listed K-12 and they are a great program, my kids go through Connections Academy.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:22 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Most schools in my state won't allow part time attendance, so whether you can do this or not where you live will depend on your state laws and/or the school district where you live. You'll need to discuss the possibilities with your local school district to see what their policies are. Most of the people I know who wanted to homeschool but didn't want to take on the full responsibility themselves chose to hire tutors for core subjects, use a virtual school, join a homeschool co-op, or use an umbrella school that required their child to turn work in to a teacher/mentor. Others chose to send their child to school for a few years and then homeschool them other years.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 12:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2009