Questions regarding developmental milestones...

I was wondering if someone could clue me in on an average age-range for a couple developmental milestones. I'm wondering mostly about lifting the head & turning over. My son is 2weeks old & I've noticed that while I'm holding him he lifts his head back constantly, yet when he tries while laying on his belly he can't seem to hold it there very long before it plops back down. He's been lifting it like that since he was a couple days old & I was wondering if that is normal. Also, in the last few days I've noticed that he can get onto his side by himself. He's not rolling all the way over onto his belly, but he's gotten close. I thought it was really early for both of these milestones...so I was wondering if someone could clue me in a little on these developments & if he's doing things "on time" or if it really is in fact early for these...

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 4:33 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of those answers are right. Your son may be starting to lift his head and roll over but his muscles need time to develop some more strength before he can do it consistently.
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 11:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My DD is 10 months old, when she was born, 5 weeks premature, she was already trying to lift her head, she didn't start controlling it until 2 1/2months, and rolling over...she started a 4 1/2 months and was a pro at 5 1/2, The Dr said that because she was a premmie that she would be a little delayed on her milestones. Babies reach their milestones on their own time and comfort.....the important thing is that they reach them....and if you don't have what to expect in the first years I would strongly recommend it....it maps everything out...a very helpful!
    norasmom1229

Answer by norasmom1229 at 5:30 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Your son is just fine! One of my sons held his head up from the time he was born and the other kids could hold it up by a month I think. Even then though, they couldn't always hold it up for long periods. It will slowly strengthen the more they try! As far as rolling over - you have a few months to go. Lol! My first rolled at 2 months I think. My daughter rolled over one time at 4 months and then didn't roll again until she was 9 months. They are all different and yours is still very, very young! Enjoy!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:44 AM on Oct. 31, 2009