How young is too young to Trick or Treat?

My son is 18 months old and I am taking him Trick or Treating for the first time. He dressed up last year but we didn't take him out. Has anyone else taken out a little one this young? He has a costume and he loves it and seems really excited, I just don't want to seem weird for taking him out because he's still pretty young.

Princess87

Asked by Princess87 at 4:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not to young to enjoy halloween. (:
    I took my daughter out at 1 year (last year) and she had lots of fun going door to door with her uncle. Her uncle ended up inheriting most of her candy though since she could only eat a few things. She also discovered her love of reese's peanut butter cups lol
    She had a lot of fun, and I'm sure your son will too. :)
    totallysober

Answer by totallysober at 5:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I still trick or treat. It's some thing I got from my Aunt you are never to old to enjoy childhood. I took all of my kids the Halloween after birth If they couldn't eat the candy I got double. The next year I split mine with them. My 7 mnth old is going this year, he is going to be Mr. Rogers. Of course he can't enjoy the candy yet but he can enjoy getting shown off and I can enjoy the candy. 18mnths though he can eat the soft chewy candy and the suckers. He also is old enough to enjoy seeing the other costumes and the walk will surely let him burn off energy. I hope you guys have fun.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:18 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I took my daughter trick-or treating last year at 1 1/2, she got intimidated by all the strangers walking around and didn't quite get it. This year, she's been excited about it for a month. I'm hoping she can enjoy it for 20 minutes or so.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• This is a personal preference. I don't like my kids to have much in the way of sweets and they truthfully don't like them much either so we didn't do trick or treat until our first was 3 and that was last year and our second was 1 then, but we didn't have her get candy. Our son wanted to be Thomas the Tank Engine and his sister to be Daisy the engine so I designed her costume around her stroller and I went as Sir Topham hat. We do trunk or treating in a parking lot though, not around the neighborhood.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:47 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Ha hA I had my 1st son out trick or treating at 3mths old ! I say you are never to young !! I hope he enjoys himself .
    wentworth99

Answer by wentworth99 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• my son is 19months and my hubby is taking him for the first time
    Anonymous

• I took my one year old trick or treating last night (that's when my town did it for some reason) and she had tons of fun watching all the people and she seemed to even like her costume. There were lots of other babies her age and younger. And right now I'm enjoying all of her candy!
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 4:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Mine was 16 months last year. I figure as long as they can walk and can eat the candy, they're fine. I have a problem with parents carrying their babies up to my door and wanting candy that's obviously not for the baby (who can't even eat table food yet). But that's just me.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:29 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• my daughter is 19mos and we took her..I usually think this age is fine to start. They don't understand whats going on but its fun! LOL My daughter was hilarious...We have two older ones. My oldest was 16mos and my middle child was almost 2 when she went the first time.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:53 AM on Nov. 1, 2009