My 4 yr old daughter is saying she doesn't like her teacher at school, should I worry?

My little girl started school in september and most kids would be settled in by now, my daughter however, begs me to let her stay home with me. I remember 2 weeks into the school year she came home upset saying that the teacher had put her on a naughty bench??? is that allowed? apparently, the bench is outside and my girl told me she had to sit there because she didnt eat her lunch, she also told me it was cold out and could I next time tell her teacher that if she was sent out to let her have her coat....I am furious.....but should I be?

repenter86

Asked by repenter86 at 7:39 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would be furious too! Thats a form of torture! Not eating your lunch is not grounds for time out. And def not a time out that is outdoors! God forbid she ran away or was kidnapped! I would talk to the principal and if she cant be transferred to another cleass then id switch schools GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:45 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• i meant to say switch if she cant go to another class. I would have this teacher fired or at least suspended. Talk to her first and see what she says then go to the principal or whom ever is in charge
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I also mean tto say abuse!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:48 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Your daughter not liking her teacher is reason enough to try to switch classes. You don't know if your daughter's interpretation of why she was punished is accurate or not, but an outdoor bench as punishment? That doesn't sound right to me. Plus, kids don't hate a teacher because they were punished once for breaking a rule. There is, at the absolute least, a personality problem between them (and what seems like a questionable punishment practice), and a pre-school age child shouldn't have to figure out how to deal with that on her own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• thanks steph319.....thank God someone thinks it's weird too....thats not right....who are the school to give time out without my consent right...the thing is...I know my daughter more than anyone....she is the most shy and quite girl ever...she probly didnt eat her food cuz she was shy or unsettled being her first time at school...to think she was punished for that makes me sick....I did speak to the teacher....and she tried to justify it by saying that my daughter was running around and making other kids run around.....that made it worse...cuz I know that is one fat LIE!my daughter didnt have a hair out of place when I picked her up...she actually looked traumatized....Im deffo changing schools but do u think I should get that teacher dealt with?
    repenter86

Answer by repenter86 at 7:56 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• You really need more facts to get her in trouble. Its all hear say at this point and you need justifiable facts to get this case going. I personally would want a parent with this issues to persue them if my child was in the class. I wouldnt wanna knwo that thats what goes on when she is there. I would be upset if something happened that another parent knew was going on and did nothing about. Talk to the principal. Have her secretly evaluated. Is there a teachers aid in the room? Maybe shell need one until she can prove she can handle the class on her own with out making rash decisions.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:00 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Did the teacher admit that the time out is outside???
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:01 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Do you have contact information for other parents in the class? Do you think you could call them and ask them how their kids are getting along in her class without creating an issue if there isn't one (and I suspect there IS one)?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Have you spoken to the teacher about it? That would be my first step, would be to get the teacher's side. Not that I think your daughter is lying or anything, but kids do sometimes exaggerate or just plain get it wrong, and it's not a bad thing. I would let the teacher tell you her version first, and take it from there. Now, assuming your daughter's story is accurate, I would have a problem with it yes. A "naughty bench" is one thing, if it's indoors, where the teacher can keep an eye on her. My kids' school has "reflection desk" where the kids go, in the classroom, when they misbehave. They have to sit there and write what they did wrong, and why it was wrong. I think it's an effective method. But to send her outdoors w/o a coat is totally wrong. And not over not eating. Disrupting class, not doing her work, those are things to discipline, not the fact that she's not hungry or doesn't like her food. con't..
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:33 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• con't...so talk to the teacher first and get her side. Then, if you still strongly believer that your daughter was right, I would go to the principal. Explain the story your daughter told and the story the teacher told, and why you believe your daughter. Tell them you either want the teacher to be forced to use a different discipline method or you want your daughter put in another classroom.

Also, ask your daughter if any other students have been treated this way. If they have, see if you can get in touch with those parents, and try a group meeting with the teacher. Might have more impact.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:36 AM on Oct. 31, 2009