Tubes

My dd is almost 3 and getting tubes in her ears next week. If you have kids with these how hard was it to get them to wear ear plugs in the bath/shower and at the pool/beach? I know I have to do it and will get them this week to get her used to wearing them. I will also wear them myself so she is more comfortable. Any other suggestions to make this transition a little easier?? TIA!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 7:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Hi Steph, my s had tubes in his ears from about age 3 to 5....he DID have to wear the earplugs for every bath and swim but it was NOT a problem. I even applied a little vaseline to them to help w/the seal because he was so active and he did not care. I think it's like most things w/parenthood: if we're cool w/it, so are they. I just acted like it was no big deal, told him it would help him keep his ears from hurting and explained that it covered up the hole in his ear so nothing could get in. It was inconvenient and I had to take them w/me everywhere (so I ended up w/2 prs). They were such a big part of those couple of yrs routines that I kept them as a keepsake! GL w/this and w/this procedure as well. I was SUPER nervous for that since it was the only time either of mine had been sedated but he did just fine, it was super fast and he came home and played all day as usual! I'll keep A in my prayers : )
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I had tubes several times in preschool, and I don't remember ever having an issue with the plugs. I seem to remember thinking they were fun, lol. I thought it was neat that when we took them out they looked like the insides of my ears. :) So before you start freaking out too much, just try them and see what happens, she might not have a problem. And feel free to use the looking like her ears thing.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My youngest has tubes and he doesn't have to wear ear plugs. Only for the first week or so after the tubes being put in. Our ENT is a specialist(my son has dwarfism) but he said that there is no need for plugs.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:48 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I've had kids that are sometimes told to wear the plugs and others not. Depends on your ENT. I also had a family that used a headband they got through the ENT. Good Luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:38 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My son had themput in the week before his first birthday. We id not have to put in ear plugs after the first week. He did fine after the minor surgery he was playing and having a good time. Unfortunally for my son w have to put tubes back in his ear, so he stops getting the ear infections so much.
    LnAsMom16

Answer by LnAsMom16 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2009