Do you ever feel like you're in a silent compettition with your neighbours around holidays?

Like with christmas and halloween decorations?
Or if you have kids around the same age - who's party was bigger, or better?

I always feel like our neighbourstry to 1 up us!!! LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The first year we lived here we draped a giant white sheet across the garage door and set up a projector and a laptop to show old black and white horror movies while we handed out candy. Competition over.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• hahahaha - way to go anon. great idea!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• no, i live by old people on one side and rejects on the other
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• LOL no I never feel that way, It is always fun in our neighborhood everyone seems to decorate the same weekend for xmas and we all love watching each other and laughing when someone drops the lights or a yard ornament falls over, or my favorite watching my DH's coworker have to climb this huge tree because his wife wants lights in it. I dont think anyone tries to out do the other but then again none of us go way overboard, now when it comes to gardening lol there are a few on our block that seem to take that and make it into who can out do who, the rest of us sit back and giggle at them.

I am pretty lucky we live on a good street with many very nice people.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 10:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Not at all. My subdivision has a Christmas decoration contest, but my street, (a small cul-de-sac), is the burnt out light bulb in the whole string of the neighborhood of lights. We decorate, but that's about it. We feel no pressure what so ever, and we like it that way.
    calico1954

Answer by calico1954 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Most of the time, no. However, we did have one set of neighbors several yrs ago that drove us CRAZY with this. No matter what we did - Holiday decorations, planting flowers, other landscaping, etc, they would come out there and watch us, ask questions about what we were doing, etc. We would take our time to do things - like, instead of doing the whole yard in one day, we would start on Friday, do some more on Saturday for about half the day, then finish up Sunday afternoon. But once they saw what we were doing, they would literally rush out and buy a bunch of stuff and stay out there, sometimes until pretty late, trying to get our ideas up in their yard before we were finished. We built flower beds and painted the borders. They bought the same borders, but didn't paint them so they could "beat us to having them in".

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:45 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Yeah "c*nts" indeed, lol!!

I'm kidding I'm kidding, it was too hard to resist!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• cont

One year, we did our Christmas decorations they way we wanted them, and they looked really nice. They not only copied, but the next year, wanted to set things up the same way, and actually asked when we were putting up our stuff, and made a point of putting theirs up the week before. LOL, it backfired on them though, because another neighbor came along (we heard them and I about died laughing) and was like "OH - you're doing your yard like ____ does theirs - what a good idea! I was going to ask them if they minded if we all did our light posts like that, and we could make it sort of a theme for our street." We didn't care, and pretty much everyone did it. It just bugged us that they kept trying to "one up" us with our own ideas.

lol - I know it's petty, but the look on their faces when the other neighbor said that was priceless :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:51 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• LOL - like I said though, 99% of the time, it doesn't bother us - we do our thing, our neighbors do theirs. Sometimes, if we live somewhere that we're friends with this neighbor or that one, we might decorate together, but we still do our own thing, we just make sort of a party out of it.

It was just that one family that drove us nuts.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:55 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• no, i live to far out in the country that no one would see if we decorated anyways. =(
    Pudge_Pie20

Answer by Pudge_Pie20 at 11:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2009