I have a holy day of obligation question:

This year All Saints day falls on a Sunday so there is no obligation . I normally go to church on Halloween but this year there is not a special Mass for the kids. Last year I went on Friday and Sunday this year we are just going on Sunday because that is what the Church is offering. I could go tonight and not tomorrow but still only one Mass this year. Next year, if All Saints Day is on Monday, do we go to Mass on Sunday and Monday?

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 10:40 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Generally, Holy days that fall on a Saturday or Monday are not considered days of obligation because they are back to back with Sunday. Christmas day and the Immaculate Conception are the only two exceptions, if they fall on a Saturday or Monday they are still considered Holy Days of Obligation.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:48 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I'm assuming you live in the US (the Holy Days of Obligation vary based on where you live). The US Council of Catholic Bishops has a page about the US Holy Days of Obligation here.  It says:

Whenever January 1, the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, or August 15, the solemnity of the Assumption, or November 1, the solemnity of All Saints, falls on a Saturday or on a Monday, the precept to attend Mass is abrogated.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2009