frequent wake ups...HELP

I finally got my 12 month old son to sleep in his crib! He even falls asleep on his own with just holding my hand for a while...But he wakes up so much during the night. He still needs 2 naps (in my opinion). He used to take them at 9:30 and 1:30 (sleeping for about an hour to an hour and a half), now he prefers them a little later. If I do try to give him just 1 nap a day, he doesn't extend how long he sleeps. He'll take one around noon and sleep for just an hour if that. I try to get him right back to sleep after he wakes up, but he is fully awake. He eats luch at 11:30ish and dinner at 4:30ish.

Here is his night schedule:

Bath at 6:40, followed by massage w/ lotion and getting PJ's on

Bottle at 7:00, followed by bed which he falls asleep within 15 minutes sometimes even faster.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you :)

arocks

Asked by arocks at 10:42 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't say how old your baby is. "Experts" consider sleeping through the night sleeping from 12-5. I think you are expecting too much.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:46 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Sounds to me like you are doing great, and your baby is just being a baby. It takes some kids up tp 2 years to really sleep through the whole night. Hang in there Momma, this too will pass.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Maybe he is waking and not able to put himself back to sleep, because he is used to holding your hand. It is kind of the same as rocking them to sleep. At 12 months we laid our son down with his bottle. He sometimes still cries and fusses when he is laid down, and he is 14 months. But he calms himself and eventually talks himself to sleep. It is hard taking a couple weeks and letting them get used to going to sleep on their own, but it does happen. Then when they wake in the middle of the night do not go in for at least 15 minutes to see what the problem is, because chances are he wants you to comfort him because he doesn't know how to comfort himself. I also got my son a soft blanket that he sleeps with all the time. Hope that helps. Plus, my son stopped having a bottle in the middle of the night right around 12 months also.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 31, 2009