What age do moms let the girls use make up?

We just got full custody of my step daughter. I dont know what a good age is? and when do they start there cycles??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I plan on letting my daughter wear subtle make-up at age 13. Nothing trashy though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• As far as periods go, that can be over a huge range of time. My dd started 1/2 through her 6th grade year. Some of her friends started younger, as early as 4th grade, and some didn't start until high school.

As far as makeup, my dd didn't start wearing it "all at once". When she was in 6th grade, which was middle school for her, I let her start wearing things like powder, some tinted lip gloss, and a little - stress little - blush. Then we added neutral eye shadow colors. By about 9th grade she was wearing powder (she doesn't wear foundation, because she doesn't want to, but I would let her at this age), blush, lipstick, shadow, eye liner and mascara.

BUT - I made a point of making sure she knew how to wear it appropriately - NOT caked on or really tacky looking. I stressed that makeup shouldn't change how she looks, just accentuate it, and taught her that a little can go a long way.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:06 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Oh, btw, now my dd is in 10th grade and her makeup looks very natural. On the one hand, it's good, because she doesn't look trashy or clownish. But on the other hand, it's sort of a bad thing, because some of the other kids her age think she's younger than she is, because it's not as heavy as some other girls, but older people (we live on a military base, so by older, I mean like 18 - 20 yr olds) have often mistaken her for being in their age group, because she wears her makeup in a "grownup - meaning subtle and flattering - way, so she doesn't look like a kid playing in her mom's makeup bag.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:10 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• take her to a Clinique counter at the mall and they can show her how to put on light makeup. Pick a sales lady that does not have a lot of makeup on.

You start only if she wants it. Lip gloss, at the age of 12.
    Some girls do not need makeup, they look beautiful natural. Everyone is different.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:45 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My mom allowed me to wear some makeup when I was in 6th grade... mostly to cover up zits and then I had a pale blush and clear mascara so it was all very subtle.

Girls usually start their cycle between 10-14 years old. It really depends. If she has started showing other signs of puberty.... like breast development and pubic hair she'll start her cycle soon.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My dd started her period when she was 10.

Lip gloss at 13.

Light eye liner (eye shadow)/lip gloss at 15.

She's not interested in wearing full make up - she hates that "girly-girly" stuff.

:)
    Anonymous

• I got my first make up kit at 11 or 12 and by the time it was acceptable to wear it outside the house, around 14. I was over it and never did my makeup. I plan to do the same thing with my daughter who is 10 right now. She has makeup to play with and she knows she has to be 12 before she can wear it outside.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:27 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• periods start at many different ages 10-15. non athletic girls and heaver girls will start sooner. very very athletic girls with minimal body fat will start later.

make up - your call. I would hold off until middle school at least. But make sure you teach her proper skin care. We stress proper skin care or make up is not allowed. ALWAYS wear sun screen. ALWAYS wash the make up off before bed and befor sports. Use GOOD products none of that cheap make up. Use GOOD face cleaning products not just a bar of soap. Moisturize when needed, clean with special producst for pimples as needed....ALWAYS use sun screen.

And make sure she knows how to apply so she looks like a young lady and not a lady of the night.
    Anonymous

• I was allowed clear mascara and lip gloss at 10, colored mascara at 12, eyeliner at 13 and by 15 I was allowed to wear whatever make up I wanted. I was almost 14 when my period started, but most of my friends started long before me.
    Anonymous