does anyone from oklahoma know the laws for special need children in public schools i think my sons rights are being stepped on we have an iep meeting and the last time we has one they pulled him out of school

donise

Asked by donise at 10:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in

• Why do you think his rights are being stepped on?

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I am from PA and worked with special needs children, as a therapist. I don't know how it is in Oklahoma but in Pennsylvania they have to be placed in an education place. If they can not be in mainstream classes for whatever reason, they should be placed in special education classrooms. They have to be educated. Those things should have been put in place at the IEP meeting. Are there agencies in your area that are "Wrap Around" programs, that have Behavior Specialist Consultants or Mobile Therapists that could speak with you. Those services should be covered under your health insurance, especially if you have a child with a diagnoses.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I'm a mom of a special needs child in Oklahoma. Most of the rules regarding special ed. services are national so they don't vary a lot by state. I'm not sure what you mean "they pulled him out of school." Do you mean the IEP meeting was during school, and the child was taken out of class to attend? Do you mean they suspended the child? Do you mean they placed him in special education setting instead of a regular education class?
    How old is the child? What types of special needs does he have?
    Bluebonnet72

Answer by Bluebonnet72 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• PUT THEM IN A "SPECIAL" SCHOOL W/ THE REST OF THEM .. DONT HOLD OTHER CHILDREN BACK BC OF THEM!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I agree with anon 1:33am
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Ugh the anons who answered are just ignorant. Honestly, just because an child is on an IEP doesn't mean they are holding back other children. Any child who learns slightly differently can be placed on those. Especially when the schools get more money from the government to pay for their education. Some schools over abuse that fact. Most schools now try to group grades by ability. So that your precious gifted children aren't being "held back" by my children!

And newsflash for you, but most moms of children with kids on IEP's would rather the "No child left behind law" was burned at the stake. We hate it! Our children are being passed through like cattle, instead of being educated. Which is why my children are virtually schooled, so I can help them instead of letting them "skate". I have a fourth grader who can barely add without her fingers. An essential skill don't you think? And if you were to meet her, (cont.)
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:08 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• You would never know she has a learning disability!

To the OP-- You should have recieved a copy of "Whose Idea is this Anyway?" (I believe that's national, not just by state) IF you didn't call your board of education, because that is a violation in and of its self. Read it thoroughly! Understand it as completely as you can and if there is something you don't understand make them clarify it for you. It outlines exactly what your child is entitled to and what the school has to provide.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:14 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• ugh anons. My son is a spec. needs an dhe by no menas holds up anyone. I agree they must place him in a special needs classroom or spec. ed depending ont he extent of the special needs he has. I would take it to the board if the school is refusing you. And what ever you do if you do not agree wiht it do not sign it!!
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My brother has Downs Syndrome and even though he is in public schools he isn't holding anyone else back! Just because he has special needs doesn't mean he needs to be shut away from the rest of society so he can be even more different from the rest of the world. No matter what the disability ever child deserves to have normal interactions with children their own age. Sorry Donise, this had nothing to do with your question.
    shannonre

Answer by shannonre at 11:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2009

• My daughter is on an IEP BECUASE SHE IF GIFTED! The regular classes cant keep up with her but she emotionally unable to function yet in the higher grade so she is in special accelerated classes that are able to handle her emotional needs and medical challenges (she has severe allergies and asthma that does at times interefere with her classes) and most of the teachers in her grade level want her in their class becasue she helps other kids with the things they struggle with. So anons shut up your ignorance is showing!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 9:57 AM on Nov. 3, 2009