Halloween should be scary or cute?

I am just wondering because I am not a big supporter of halloween. My family did not really participate in it much but I do not want to do that to my children...I will wait and let them know my personal belief on it when they are older to understand.

Anyway I do feel if I participate in any activities it should be scary,
I am going to make that rule for my children when they are older (since they are 1 1/2 and 4 now) and want a costume. That is what the origin is about anyway not disney princesses', cute animal costumes for babies, etc. which would definitely not ward off any bad spirits! Not that I believe that but I just think of it as a scary/fun holiday.

Brickhouse95

Asked by Brickhouse95 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Our boys have been able to feel what they want about it.. Our 6 yr old dressed up for the first time this yr by his choice. Our 13 yr old and 7 yr old have been funny things and scary things. The only thing I want them to understand about Halloween is that it's a time for pretending and having fun doing it! We don't take the holidays to serious, if they want to participate they can, if not, no big deal...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:08 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• The average Disney princess would put any evil spirit in a sugar coma compounded by a serious panic attack over the dramatic loss of assets induced by the excessive marketing. Really - is there ANYTHING scarier than a Disney Princess, aside from maybe Barbie?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I know, in theory, it should be scary, but I don't like scary, so I vote for cute. I wish it would be cancelled. Most countries around the world do not even celebrate Halloween. Some have a version of it, but not blown out of proportion like we do in the US.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:36 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I view trick or treating as a fun tradition. I enjoyed it growing up, and would like for my children to have similar experiences. We do not actually celebrate halloween. Since, I became a born-again christian 6yrs ago, I am no longer comfortable with the scary/evil looking costumes and decorations. So my rule for my 7, 5, and 2 yr old boys is no scary costumes.
    Pea22

Answer by Pea22 at 6:53 PM on Nov. 1, 2009