Cat going right next to the litter box, but not in it

We have had our cat for 5 years now. Her litter box is in the bathroom. She's been very good about using the litter box up until a few weeks ago. She uses it most of the time, but then other times she'll pee on the bathroom rugs. A couple of times she's also pooped on the rugs. What should I do?
We have a 9 month old, which is probably a cause of stress for her. We also moved 2 months ago. So, maybe she is just stressed out?
Any expert advice before I end up taking her to the vet and spending lots of money?

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 11:09 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Pets

• Barring health issues. I can't say on that! I hope your cat is Well. Once they've
    had accidents on the rug it keeps that "smell". Its so hard to get that smell out. So she goes on it 'cuz the smell is in there. Stress. A New move is difficult. Try talking to her & if you catch her. Show her it goes back in here! Even take it & shake it in. Remind her that's where she is supoose to go... I've had challenges! I sure have! I have 13!! But I wish you the best!! Something must be upsetting her!! Good Luck!! Do try to have some special alone time with her too! So she knows you still love her! One of my oldest doesn't like to share me! But I do assure her, she's still Mama's girl!! I know I talk to my cats! I do what works to keep peace & order in my house!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Hmmm...Have you change litter? Is the box kept very clean?

I would start there. Next I would try confining her to a bathroom with a clean box for a few days to see if she can get back on track. If not then I would say it's time to let a vet double check she has no underlying issues to cause it. How old is she? Maybe she is having a hard time getting in the box?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:18 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• What would the vet do?

You moved so it is a new bathroom. When we moved our cats loved the bathroom. Our male tabby could fit under the back tank of the toilet and it was really cool. He only came out to eat and drink for 2 weeks. Our sister cats stretched out in the tub. Moves are really stressful on cats and we only moved 2 miles and our cats like riding in the car. They did OK with the litter pan because it was in the bathroom.

Maybe your cat would like the litter pan somewhere else. Since we have multiple cats I clean the litter after every poop. Maybe you could get a hooded pan. You might try a different litter, thats kind of a longshot. Usually cats don't like litter changes. We love the pine litter, the smell is nice and you can flush poop.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:18 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• A vet would make sure that the cat doesn't have any urinary tract issues which will cause them to eliminate on a smooth, soft surface. Cats often hide symptoms until it's too late to fix what is wrong with them.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• 'Cats often hide symptoms until it's too late to fix what is wrong with them. '

No totally true... a Urinary tract infection even if not caught until it is really bad can still be fixed with antibiotics. Kidney disease can't be reversed but it can be maintained as can diabetes. All of which can be issues to look into when an older cat starts drinking more and wetting more or inappropriately.
    Anonymous