Going back to work and cant pump enough to give to son when im gone, what formula should I start my son on

I am going back to work and cant pump enough to leave with my son. I want to use formula while im gone because I cant pump at work, I work at a bank and theres no way I can. WHat is the best formula i can use that will be okay. My son is very healthy and likes bottles and bf .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is all trial and error with your babies system. Not so much what worked with other babies. But we used enfamil then started to mix it with parents choice to see if our son could handle that toward the end of using formula. Good luck. I would advise starting to mix an once of formula in with breast milk before returning to work. That will prepare his sytem for it and it won't shock it so much as just a sudden change.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Try Goodstart Gentle Plus, in the orange can. It does very good with my son and the local hospital around here starts all babies out on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Why can't you pump at work? It is as much your right to pump as it is to take a smoke break. If your supervisor is adamant that you can't pump, I personally would report him/her. Also, you may not need to switch. Go on kellymom.com and look up reverse cycling. That is an option if you do not want to switch. As for switching, how old is your lo? Does he have a touchy tummy?
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Have you thought about reverse cycling? That might be possible. kellymom.com

And why can't you pump at a bank.. ? My mom works at a bank and one of the ladies she works with pumps at work in one of the offices.. It takes 15 minutes (pumping beyond that is useless) and she does it during her lunch and regular break and eats while she pumps.

How much is too little? If you get 2 ounces per pumping session that would be plenty of milk if you pumped once in the morning, twice at work, and twice at home.. That'd be 10 ounces. Plenty for an 8 hour day -- babies only really need an ounce per hour. The extra 2 ounces is padding.

How much do you think he needs to eat ?

If you only get an ounce total in 5 pumping sessions (5 oz).. I can see how that might not be enough, but then again with reverse cycling you could skip one bottle and make up for it at night. Your baby would get used to it.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 12:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• To answer the question tho.. My son was in the NICU for a while and when he got home I had to wean him off of formula. I used organic formula and that is what I recommend.. I think it's healthier and easier to digest than commercial formula.

I used Baby's Only organic lactose free formula. It says it is for toddlers but it is the same as Enfamil for under 0-12 months. There are other organic formulas out there and they are actually cheaper than a lot of the brand-name regular formulas. http://www.naturesonedirect.com/orlafrfo.html http://www.naturesone.com/documents/lactose-free_chart.pdf
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 12:46 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• We have a lot of food intolerances/allergies in our family and I too had the pumping issue... so we supplemented with goat's milk!! One grrl liked it *straight* lol and the other liked it *cut* lol with some vanilla rice milk. You can find it in the grocery store.

mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• We used Enfamil Lipil to supplement when he was away from me and hungry.

Answer by missanc at 1:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• by law, your employer must allow you to time to pump for a nursing mother, don't give up.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• All formula is the same. Whatever works best.

I think they have to legally supply you with pumping breaks, though. Not saying it will be enough.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• When your baby is nursing first thing in the morning, nurse the baby on one breast and pump the other. We are now finding that its better to use only one breast a feeding. You have the most milk in the morning and should be able to get a lot. That should also stimulate your supply.

If you don't have a Medela Pump in Style you can probably get one for under $50 on Craigslist. You can then buy new bottles, ect.

Once your baby is 4 month then you could start solids, real food (again www.kellymom.com). Banana is better than modified cow milk formula. The solids can then replace some of the formula.

There are problems with the DHA formulas and I would avoid those and of course soy is the worst.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009