Seriously -- this IS a problem.. !!

I'm breastfeeding and it's awesome and all, but it's creating an issue. I have now dropped below my ideal weight and have gotten underweight. I was 120 pre-pregnancy and my ideal weight is about 115. I had dropped down to 101 the other day and my skinny pants are hanging off of my legs and I look kindof like I'm dying or something.

I eat enough calories, but I eat a really high fiber, lots of vegetables and whole grains, diet. I don't know how I could eat more. I eat every 3 hours with him during the day, sometimes more, and a good sized dinner and then a snack at night. I don't want to start eating a ton of junk food like my doctor suggested, but I don't know how else to up my weight.

I've caved some and have been eating a huge bowl of ice cream at night for a few days but I have now lost yet another pound.

It's NOT my thyroid.

If you had this happen, what would/did you do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The same thing happened to me. I would have trouble keeping my weight up to 100. I look back at pictures and I look anorexic. I would eat all I wanted and more.

It was temporary. I stayed that thin as he nursed as a toddler. When he weaned I gained the weight back. I don't know what was up. It was the worst with my third child.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:33 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Eat more, more often. According to Dr Brewer, who pioneered nutrition research in pregnant and nursing women in the 1960's, a nursing woman needs to eat around 2600 calories a day to maintain her weight and nutrition. If you eat around 300 to 500 calories at a sitting, you need to eat about every 90 minutes to 2 hours.
    Like you, I lose tons of weight while nursing. The only thing that works is to eat a good size snack every time I sit down to nurse. The only other thing I can say is to not be afraid of naturally occurring fats. Nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocados; full fat cheeses. An egg (or two) a day won't kill you, nor will a couple servings of 2% or whole milk. When you balance these with veggies and whole grains you already eat (yum! your little one is learning good habits from the taste of you milk :-), it's still a healthy, balanced diet.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 11:35 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I am dealing with that, too. Only I am down to around 93-95. I just eat as much calorie and nutrient dense food as I can, and try to get it in a fresher state- not a lot of prepared stuff in our kitchen. One bit of advice I got was to get more vitamins, either through foods or supplements, to somehow start weight gain. I go for the foods that contain the most vitamins per serving- dark leafy foods, salmon, cantaloupe, whole grains or multi grain pastas, and also drink milk when I remember, eat eggs, cheese, etc.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Avocados, olive oil, peanut butter, whole milk, drink the carnation instant breakfast or ensure-type drinks, you want to go for the healthy fats vs the not-good-for-you fats. Add in extra healthy fats everywhere you can. Get the help of a nutritionist if you want good help.
    Anonymous

• Well, on one hand I want to say you're lucky. But I know you're not! I know this is a big issue. What I would say is this. You don't want to just pile on calories to pile on calories. Eating doritos because you can to maintain a weight isn't healthy. My first instinct would be to add juice. Juice packs a lot of calories, but is still healthy. You could easily pile on 300 calories a day by replacing two glasses of water with a juice that you enjoy.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• This happened to me too. Eggs, avocado... full fat dairy (I couldn't have dairy, though!). Fish, red meat, dark chicken meat with the skin. Olive oil, butter... nuts... sneak in as many healthy fattening foods as you can.
    I leveled off at about a year.
    I also started taking cod live oil... just a little extra good fat! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• No it hasn't happened to me, lol. I would get some weight gainer from GNC and make a shake a day for a week and see if that helps to maintain the weight. Then increase it by one more to increase the weight until you reach your ideal weight. Good luck

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:00 PM on Oct. 31, 2009