Anyone know anything about bed bugs?

I live in an apartment complex, recently they came in and inspected for bed bugs, I luckily do not have them. But there is a lot of people around me who does. There is several couchs and mattresses out at the dumpster. I am so afraid to catch them that I have been taking my trash else where. Does anyone know how to prevent them? Or how they are spread. I really don't even know what they look like, I just know they bite.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• look up 'Scabies' on google, they are caused by not being clean/ not cleaning
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Don't Really know they look like(just that they are small black bugs), but you would be able to see them and yes they bite. Just make sure you keep your place clean and you could make sure you spray bug spray outside your doors/windows and inside cabinets(under the sinks where bugs tend to hide) Not sure where they come in at. I have never had to deal with them. But if you don't have them I would leave it at that. If you do see any bugs at all tell the apt complex immediately and have them come in and treat the place. It could quickly get out of hand if you don't. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:36 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My sister got them from her neighbor in an appt complex. They had to gut the neighbors appt and my sister had to clean everything. She did get rid of them but she had her appt sprayed and she cleaned and wrapped her mattress for 2 weeks and cleaned everything on a daily basis. Her appt was spotless before they got in there, they travel at night and like warm dry places. Pull everything out, vacuum, have your appt sprayed. You won't see them during the day unless you have a major infestation. There's a lot of info on the internet about them. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• BTW: Scabies is a skin disease caused by a type of mite. Bed bugs are a type of bug that you can actually see and that crawl around and get into and on things in your home... oh and they tend to come out at night because they are sensitive to light.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:44 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• You don't just get them because you aren't clean! My friend got them from one of her neighbors in her apartment building, The ONLY way to get rid of them is spraying the entire building, if you spray one apartment and not the rest they will just move to another apartment
    Anonymous

• To keep them from your bed - get 4 heavy glass jars that your bed legs will fit into. Put an inch or so of kerosene in each jar, and put the bedlegs in the jars. *IF* any bedbugs get into your place, they'll be able to crawl up the jars, but the kerosene will kill them on contact, keeping them from your bed. If you don't do it, they'd be able to crawl up your bed legs and infest your mattress. I'm sure you could do the same with a couch, if it has proper legs and/or you can find containers to fit the legs. Of course you have to be extra careful of kids around that. *I* would be moving ASAP though, yuck.
    Anonymous

• They look a lot like mosquito bites, but are usually closer together - about 3 in a row. There are pictures online at http://www.bedbug.com/Page-Gallery---Bed-Bug-Bites_118.aspx

Also, if you want to prevent from getting them, your best bet is to get bedbug proof laundry bags and bedding liners, because in the long run it will save you lots of money on an exterminator.

They spread simply by crawling so maybe you can sprinkle some diachotomos earth by your front door.

Prevent bed bugs now, because trust me, once its too late they are NOT pretty!
    StacyandKids

Answer by StacyandKids at 9:41 AM on Jun. 7, 2010