Question from another discussion site

This is not my question, I saw it on another site for discussing philosophical questions & it interested me. I was curious what CMs would answer.

Why are fools and fanatics always so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because a wise person knows there is a lot they do not know and understand. While a fool and fanatic is so certain of themselves that they have stopped being open to learning anything that does not fit with their ideas.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• um...because wisdom tells you to look at the whole picture, which may or may not be visible, and a wise person accepts the possibility for that variance...?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:32 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I believe its because they see the bigger picture and realize there is more than one option out there.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• While I disagree that wiser people are full of doubts, I will say that often wiser people are full of questions. I think the reason for this is because they are able to see other possibilities, and explore them until they are sure of the answers to whatever it is they're seeking for themselves.

Where as often people who are more foolish or narrow minded can only see one possibility, and lack the ability to even imagine what someone else might think or believe if it in any way differs from their own viewpoint.

For example, I am sure of my faith, I've asked questions, and I've explored it and learned about it, and I know what I believe, and I hold those beliefs very near and dear to my heart. But hat doesn't stop me from being able to accept that others, who do NOT share my beliefs, also hold theirs just as near and dear to their hearts. I can imagine myself in their shoes, and thus, respect their views.

kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:37 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• fools are closeminded and never look to other people's opinions or hear wat they have to say. And wise people are known for being wise and don't want to get anything wrong so people won't learn things wrong because they'll be setting a bad example..
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I agree that "full of doubts" might not be quite accurate. I think that the wise simply know that they can't know everything that effects an issue, so they always leave room for doubt.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I agree with sailorwifenmom(hope I typed that right)
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:58 AM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I am not sure that is a true statement. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• "Only when we know little do we know everything. Doubt grows with knowledge." Goethe

i agree w/ PP that it is that wise ppl ask more questions & can accept that not everyone has reached the same conclusions to those questions.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Heh, hehhhhehehehehe. I love it. I'll have to remember that. That's kind of my husband's way of looking at the world. He would be an atheist if he believed he KNEW that there is no god, but he says he can't be 100% sure, and he'll always have a little bit of doubt in his mind, so he's just going to stay agnostic. He thinks atheism is just as damaging as theism. *shrug* His words, not mine.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009