how long after the first day of your period do you usually ovulate?

my body is out of whack since I went off birth control. we decided to do natural family planning. I've been buying ovulation prediction kits to help me along while my body gets rid of all the chemicals from the birth control. I tested positive for ovulation just 2 days after my 5 day period was done. doesn't that sound way too soon?..I'm not actually trying to conceive but I figured this was the most fitting catagory :D

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• It depends on how long your cycle is. You should ovulate 11-16 days before the start of your next period. If you know when that will (or should) be, then count backwards. If not (or even if so), then the best thing to do is chart, especially basal body temp and cervical mucus. BBT is the only way to know for sure when you have, in fact, ovulated; cervical mucus and OPKs are the best ways to tell when you're going to ovulate and thus when you're the most fertile.

If you got a positive OPK on day 7 of your cycle, then it just means you'll have a relatively short cycle, about 23 days or so, assuming you actually do ovulate (it is possible to get a positive OPK and still not ovulate -- that's why charting BBT is so handy). Very possible, and doesn't mean anything's wrong.

www.fertilityfriend.com is a great resource for charting.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:07 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• its usually about 14 days after. however every body is different
    Anonymous

• Not at all. I began ovulating the day after my period this last time. But this cycle was weird for some reason. I started 2 days early and it only lasted 4 days, which is odd for me. And then I OV right after... so it's totally possible.
    Anonymous

• Every body is different. Halfway between is "typical" for a great number of women. Meaning, if you have a 28-day cycle, you'll ovulate on right around day 14 - 2 weeks after your period starts. If you have a longer cycle, it'll be a couple more days. I don't have a super-regular cycle, but I always ovulate right around that 14-day mark, regardless of how many weeks I go between periods.
    Anonymous

• this is from my teacher she worked for ab OBGYN for over 15 years... She said it is in between 10-15 from the first day of your period. So start counting..
    missjenna21

Answer by missjenna21 at 1:56 AM on Nov. 1, 2009