Respect? (From a Christian perspective)

For those who are Christians, explain to me how you respect someone (other half) who do things to show themselves not respectable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Relationships

• Respect should go both ways, if someone wants to recieve respect, they need to also show it and apply it themself.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 12:28 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• elaboarate on your question please...
    Anonymous

• If you are a wife, you are commanded to respect your husband (I can find you the Biblical reference if you need it), regardless of what he is doing. Your husband is commanded to love you, but the two "commandments" are not dependent on each other. Meaning he SHOULD love you, but even if he is not acting love towards you, you are still commanded to respect him. The reference does not read "Respect your husband, if he loves you" it just says "Wives, respect your husbands"
    There's a great Christian book out called Love & Respect by Eggerichs which I wish I had read when I was married to my first husband. I still would have left because he became abusive, but it would have made the early years easier to deal with.

Answer by missanc at 12:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• missanc...your divorced, but you believe you have to respect your husband "no matter what he is doing"...kinda contradictory don't ya think?

Personally, if someone does not treat you in a way that is respectful, they are not worthy of respect. IMO.
    Anonymous

• Marriage is a covenant. You made vows so you're not allowed to get pissy when someone isn't kissing your feet. It get tough sometimes and being respectful keeps you from acting a fool. You don't stay for abuse or cheating of course but you are supposed to be there for everything else.
    Anonymous

• Anon 12:16 - if you had read my answer, you would see that I state I wish I had read the book, which contained that information, during my 1st marriage. And no - it also states in the same book that if a husband is abusive, then you can respect him from a distance. I firmly believe that God did not intend for me to stay in a situation where I could be beaten to death.

Answer by missanc at 12:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• You know what. I'm just gonna close this before it gets heated. I was looking for advice from personal experiences not for "commands". But thanks.
    Anonymous