My 18 months old daughter has a very strong addiction to my hair, she need it everytime whether before sleeping or when she is hungry - as if my hair is a source of some energy from her. Any suggestion on how to deal with this situation.

I am worried as this addiction is affecting her meals, whenever she is hungry - she bites my hair. Recently i got a wig but she instantly recognised it as not mine & made a hue & cry to get rid of it. I really don't know how to handle this situation, need some advice or some tips which might have worked for other kids facing similar situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i've actually heard of a condition that cause one to eat things that are not "normal" (ot try to eat), i think it's called "pica"? It can lead to mental retardation, but can be treated if casued early. One of the causes for this condition is lead poisening. I would consult your pediatrition and get second opinons if necessary. I'm not saying your dd has this, but it's something to have checked out.
    Anonymous

• Huh. I wonder if you could cut a small lock of hair to give her? Maybe? It sounds unusual, but i wouldn't freak out.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I would ask her doctor. Maybe she is missing something in her diet that she needs and that is why she is going after your hair. Just like how they say when you are pregnant you crave certain things because you are lacking something. I never heard of pica leading to metal retardation, I have worked with mentally challenged kids that have pica, it seemed to be a common thing for them to have. I could be wrong though. Most of them would want to eat dirt.
    Anonymous

• Was she always like this from an infant?

I mean did she play with your hair when she nursed or was otherwise being comforted by you?

If so, it could just be something that makes her feel comfort - some kids have blankets, yours has your hair.
    Anonymous