Help! How to save this Frosting??

I made this Recipe for one Bowl Frosting. I used 1 pkg. Vanilla instant pudding, 1- 1/2 C. Milk, 1 C. Cool Whip. ( I measured out 1 C.) Its now runnny! I did follow the instructions! The cool whip container says 8 oz. But I used 1 Cup as in a measuring cup! What to do? How to thicken? Can I put in some Cream cheese perhaps? Or am I screwed? Just wanted a non dairy whipped frosting!! What can I do?? Anyone ever use this recipe without Fail? Is it 'cuz I have a migraine & my Halloween is filled with tricks??

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 12:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Powdered sugar would thicken it, although you might want to play around with it to make sure its not so sweet its not good. It sounds like too much liquid was added? Was the recipe for a small box of pudding, or the larger 6 serving box?

Asking because it sounds pretty good :)
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• You may want to put it in the fridge for a bit to see if it will thicken up. If it still doesn't thicken, you could try the cream cheese, or a little bit more pudding mix...
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• You can also try Dream Whip. It's a powdered, non-dairy, whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery. Beat it in for a couple of minutes.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 12:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• #1. If you wanted a non-dairy recipe, this is NOT the one to use - MILK is dairy.

#2. If you did any more than gently fold the cool whip in, you flopped it and it's a goner. If you stir it too vigorously, you stir the air out and ruin it.

#3. There's no way to save it. Sorry.

#4. There are no truly good non-dairy frostings out there. You can replace the liquids in one with water or juice, but nothing beats an icing with a little bit of heavy whipping cream in it.
    Anonymous

• Thank you. The recipe says a 4 serving size pudding. How do you measure Cool Whip? 8oz. by weight or 1 cup by a measuring cup? Is that my Error perhaps or not! The Flavor? Its Yummy like my main ingredients I use for Dirt Dessert wiith oreos!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Mix a couple of tablespoons of corn starch with a little cold water. Heat the frosting. Add the cornstarch a little at a time, until it starts to thicken.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2009