2 yrs old and teeth brushing....

She hates to brush her teeth! I get all the "dora and princess" tooth brushes she loves in the store, but when we get home, it's still a battle to touch those teeth! I'm out of ideas, any suggestions?

Amapele7

Asked by Amapele7 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my 22 month old I let her "brush" her teeth first. This helped her willingness. But I was pinning her down and brushing while she cried. After awhile she quite crying and just opened her mouth, but still didn't make it easy. After she saw me brush her sister teeth though, it is a whole lot easier. Maybe let her "brush" your teeth (with your brush), or a baby's teeth. I hope that helped.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! I felt terrible for making her cry, but I knew I'd feel even worse if her teeth didn't get brushed. I never thought of letting her brush mine... thats a great idea I'll have to try!
    Amapele7

Answer by Amapele7 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I Did the same for my DD I got her all the nice tooth brushes, she has about 6 different once. But I went to the $ store. And got her a flashing tooth brush for $1. She likes it. Its a little easier to brush her teeth now. She'll fight me thoug cause she wants to do it all by her self. She's 21 mnths old..Good luck..
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 2:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• It's a power struggle, they'll give in eventually. Just don't get upset while trying to make her brush her teeth because she will associate the experience as not fun, not a good one, and will never want to. Get some all natural sugar free little mints or fruity bites to give as a treat after brushing, maybe even a sticker. Even just a little quick brush is better than no brush, even if that means let the "big girl" do it herself. Hang in there and don't worry to much about it, it will happen eventually.
    Anonymous

• She loves stickers! That I'll have to to try! I'm so thankful for other mommies!!! LoL
    Amapele7

Answer by Amapele7 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Maybe try taking her in the bathroom with you and letting her see you brush your teeth. You could try to let her "brush" her teeth while you do yours. My daughter is 19 months, and thats what I do with her, and she loves it.
    KMG0124

Answer by KMG0124 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 1, 2009