Should it still hurt 4 weeks postpartum

Had my baby on oct 1st and Im still so sore. I can barely make it to the grocery store and back without feeling like Im gonna pass out from the pain. I had an episiotomy and some tearing. I have to go back to work in 2 weeks and I dont know how Im gonna do it. Help?

kirstenshaye

Asked by kirstenshaye at 1:23 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was the same way. Talk to your doctor about it. If I walked too much I felt like everything was going to fall out down there.

Talk to your DR.
    Anonymous

• I didn't hurt that bad, but with my first I was in pain well past the 6 week check up! Talk to your doctor and do your best to take it easy! It is easy to overdo it. Every pregnancy is different. My first one was awful - delivery AND recovery, but with my last one I felt great 24 hours later!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• It's pretty normal. I felt the same way too. Episiotomies make it worse (and they are not supported by evidence to help prevent injury to the perineum). You'll know to avoid an episiotomy next time.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• You could have it infected down below which would make it worse. Are you sitting on the donut in a shallow bath twice a day to help w/ healing? I'd make sure everything is really clean below and call the nurse. To me, it seems a tad extreme to be in that much discomfort four weeks after but I could be wrong.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009