Conversion questions

Is conversion something that happens TO you, something that you DO, or a combination?

Do you have to convert from something? One of the definitions of "conversion" is: "a change of attitude, emotion, or viewpoint from one of indifference, disbelief, or antagonism to one of acceptance, faith, or enthusiastic support, esp. such a change in a person's religion" suggesting that one only has to change from disbelief in something to belief in it to be a convert, not necessarily the follower of one system converting to following another system.

Is conversion gradual or sudden? Does all conversion have a "eureka" moment?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is more a personal opinion question. It can't be proven one way or the other but here are my opinions.
    Do you have to convert from something? Technically speaking yes you would have to belong to something to change it. Morally speaking as well as logically No you don't whether you belong to a religion or not you have your own belong and joining a religion can change them or convert you
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• One of the definitions of "conversion" is: "a change of attitude, emotion, or viewpoint from one of indifference, disbelief, or antagonism to one of acceptance, faith, or enthusiastic support, esp. such a change in a person's religion" suggesting that one only has to change from disbelief in something to belief in it to be a convert, not necessarily the follower of one system converting to following another system. Yes this is the definition however Not necessarily because if you are pagan for example you believe in something just not the same things but if you choose to become Christian you have converted or Switched your belief system.

Is conversion gradual or sudden? This depends on the person my dad instantly converted when marrying my mom. I have ever changed or converted my believe system gradually over 18 yrs.

hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Does all conversion have a "eureka" moment? This is a another one depending on the person. Some people talk about it for a while contemplating their decision which I believe is better than jumping in. Others just hear one thing that make them go wow and just dive in head first. However a lot of the ones I met who did this regretted it including my dad. He converted from baptist to Mormon.
    I hope this helps give you one persons perception. Good luck.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Thanks for your answers. I am reading an article that made me wonder what people's thoughts were on the issue (though I am aware the issue has been discussed to some extent on this board in recent posts).
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• no prob
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I think it can be fast or slow depending on the person involved.

For me there was a eureka moment although Im not sure where it stemmed from cuz I wasnt trying to convert or change religions,etc. So ya, I think there can be a eureka moment in most cases. Some may not see it as such though based on how they define eureka LOL.

I converted from a belief, a strong one so I dont fully accept that it happens from disbelief to something else. I know many who fully believed in something an then converted.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I don't think you can convert without it being "from" something. If you convert to Christianity you had convert from something else before right? I guess lol I never thought about it before but that is how it works in my mind. As for is it a thump on the head, a gradual feeling or a a few taps on the shoulder IDK

I guess I am not the one to answer the question. I am procrastinating getting some work due on Monday completed.

I left my religion and came back gradually but on day I started whole hog. So it was like a small revelation, years later I got a little more hints with a little more force from God and one day I got the duh-I could of had a V-8 moments and said I am Catholic now act like.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2009