second hand smoke

my baby is 2 weeks old and i plan on going back to my nanny job in 2 weeks. i am allowed to have my daughter there so it works out. i am trying to figure out how bad it is for my daughter to be in their house if they smoke in their house. they said they will not smoke around her at all but i'm talking about me being there when they are not home and no one is smoking in the house. is the second hand smoke still lingering in the house?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't think the second hand smoke will be a big problem if they are not there smoking in the house when you are there. If they are there, even in another room or part of the home, there will be second hand smoke in the air. There is also third hand smoke which is the film the smoke leaves on furniture, carpet, etc. Studies show babies do ingest toxins from third hand smoke. Be very careful about putting her down on the floor- I would bring a clean blanket from your home everyday to use as a barrier on carpet and furniture, and don't leave the blanket in the house when you leave. This will not be so easy once your baby is scooting around on the floor. Exposure to smoke is linked with increased SIDS risk so take as many precautions as possible.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I do not see it would be any more of a problem then taking the baby to a restaurant that has a smoking section. the smell is there but most of the harmfullness is gone.
    GOT2LOVEME

Answer by GOT2LOVEME at 1:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Yes, it is still harmful. My parents didn't smoke in the house when we were there, but did when we weren't there..my son coughs and gets cranky becase of the smoke. Your baby is very sensitive right now. Why would you take that risk?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My opinion I will be bashed and know it. Every kid in my family was subjected to second hand smoke and no-one was harmed. My family has smoked for many generations. Also this is fact it has been link to, but not proven to do harm. They were unable to decide if the smoke was the disyphering factors in the cases. Both parties were very closely affected have ever there was like 1% more of the second hand smoke. There was lots of other thing in there back round that they did prove causes problems. I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with your new job.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• The chemicals are still there even though the smoke is gone.....Personally I wouldnt do it but sometimes we do what we have to do as parents
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2009