Invited To A Swine Flu Party?

Would you take your kids? Does this seem like a good idea or a bad idea?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=114144189&ps=cprs

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/world/americas/07party.html

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 1:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Why expose my kids to a potentially fatal virus on purpose?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• No and no.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 1:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I remember being invited to a Chicken pox party when I was young--didn't get the chicken pox though!

No, I wouldn't go nor would I purposely allow my children to go! If they get the flu, we'll deal with it. With some 3000+ strains of the flu virus floating around out there, what would be the point? it's not like you can avoid ever getting the flu again! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I wouldn't go somewhere to intentionally infect my kids, but I also don't plan on staying away just because someone is sick. We stopped by my parents today and my dad is pretty sick (don't know if it is swine flu-doesn't really matter imo). He stayed away from the kids, but if they get sick, oh well. We will deal with it. Germs are everywhere I we aren't going to isolate ourselves and my husband has to go to work! :-) BUT, I am not running over to a friends house to intentionally infect my kids.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I remember the chicken pox parties too! And I went and did get the chicken pox...but there is no way I would ever allow my kids to go to a swine flu party. I don't think those are good ideas all!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My grandmother made me go to a boys house when I was a kid to catch the chicken pox...I was 5, and it was hell but I'm kind of glad she did b/c I got it and got over it. My grandfather caught chicken pox when he was older and the virus never left his body so now he has shingles and it is extremely painful and he'll have to deal with it for the rest of his life.

Now a swine flu party is a little dumb b/c its not something you catch once and never get again, so I just don't see how it would help. My niece (5) and my nephew (1) both with respiratory conditions both have the swine flu right now, I will not be sending my son to hang out with them while they have symptoms but I can almost guarentee he'll get it b/c he was with them all this week, even the morning the symptoms showed up so they were contagious. I hope he doesn't b/c I am getting over Bronchitis so I really don't want to have to go into the swine flu right now
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 2:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I am probably the only one but I actually considered going to my girlfriend's house last week because she had Swine Flu. My reasoning (poor as it may be) was that I am tired of being freaked about it, worrying about when we'll get it, if we had it and if I should vaccinate or not. As it turns out, they ran out of the vaccine at our Pediatric clinic in three hours. I didn't even know they had it. I'm very on the fence about the vaccine though too. IDK. My husband said I was crazy.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My friend took her little daughter to a chicken-pox party, and her daughter got really, really, sick. She ran a very high fever, and had chicken pox on her eyelids, soles of feet, and even up in her private parts. The little girl was so incredibly sick and miserable, and my friend felt SO guilty. After watching what she went through, I would never deliberately expose my kids that way.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• That doesn't seem like sound reasoning to me!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• That is about the most stupid thing to date.
    Anonymous