No religion?

Those who are answering the world without religion question that the world would be better off without religion, do you believe there are any religions currently in existence that are more beneficial than harmful (to the world in general not to individuals)? Do you think there were any in the past?

nysa00

Asked by nysa00 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Personally, I think all religions can be very detrimental because of the fact that every single one thinks they are the right one, the only right one, and that everyone that doesn't agree are a bunch of heathens worshipping false gods that will be getting their "just rewards". That's gonna cause problems no matter what. I don't think any one religion has really been better than any other with staying peaceful. There has always been and will always be conflict with religion.
    Anonymous

• Well, Buddhism, although that's not actually a religion. Wicca's "Harm none" would be a good motto for everyone to live by.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 2:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 by: Anonymous Personally, I think all religions can be very detrimental because of the fact that every single one thinks they are the right one, the only right one, and that everyone that doesn't agree are a bunch of heathens worshipping false gods that will be getting their "just rewards".

I don't think that is true of all religions.

Answered at 2:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Well, Buddhism, although that's not actually a religion.

Depends on how it is practiced.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I was going to say Buddhism too.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 2:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Buddhism they are a non-violent turn the other cheek religion.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Yeah - what they said! :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, and Shinto. Basically all of the Asian/Eastern religions, the ones that revere nature and peace above all else. I personally think Shinto sounds the most idealistic to me, they love nature so much that it's almost sickening.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• shamanism

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 2:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Hinduism can be quite detrimental in the application of the caste system. Both the Chinese (currently & in the past) & Japanese(in the past) cultures have been extremely agressive & cruel, though what role their religions played in that is questionable (perhaps the cultures became malevolent IN SPITE OF them, I don't know enough about it to say for sure). Do we perhaps idealize those religions? In philosophy & almost always in practice Buddhism seems to be the most benevolent. Could the spread of these religions make us a more peaceful & "good" people?
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Cait, I am surprised you mentioned shinto. I used to study shinto; have you ever seen anyone get possessed by a spirit during a shinto ritual? It can actually be quite terrifying. The person I saw began speaking in deep growling voices and trying to harm himself. It was not human.

It is more than just a nature religion, it is polytheistic, animistic and very spiritual. It is not just a philosophy.

I know at least with folk shinto spirit possession is very common. You might even be able to find some videos on youtube of it. It would trip you out.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2009