It has been said religion war, intolerance, death, destruction and FALSE hope

What good does your religion do?

I know our church has food drives. Clothing drives and scholarships. Then Benedictine Sisters help the community with free services and counselling all the time. That is just in this area.

What is something good your religion does? Or another church or religion? We have a question giving us the bad, please keep this positive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• that's just it..a lot, if not most churches do good for the community/nation/global exercises. all of the things listed by those against religion, are done IN THE NAME OF RELIGION..not necessarily the participants of any said religion or church. (well, except those weirdo offshoots that everyone knows about--westboro, etc. )
    our church has foodbanks, backpack programs for public schools, free clinics, is involved in habitat for humanity, pregnancy crisis centers, children's/women's emergency shelters, schooling/general welfare in different countries where basic necessities are lacking..there's more to the list i can't think of at this moment.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 2:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• While the "false" part is debatable (perhaps true perhaps not) the rest is accurate. I think the bigger question is do the good works you mention, which I believe every religion can cite, outweigh those evils?
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I would like positives answers please of what good we see.
    Anonymous

• Im an atheist soooo yea. However I get together with a couple other people who are atheists and we clean a portion of the beach we adopted (although anyone is welcome to join this group). Other than that I volunteer at a soup kitchen when they'll have me. I donate to Good will all the time and i give blood. I also donate canned good to the local food drive.
    Anonymous

• Well since I'm not part of an organized religion I can only tell you what I have done. I am always helping families who have less with electric, and other bills, food, and clothes any thing I can really. I have even put money I didn't have to help a single putting myself in the hole. We almost got evicted when our bank called said they made a mistake and gave us money we got 2600 enough to cover the money I gave and get my kids Christmas last year. I believe if you do good works you will not go with out.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Catholic Charities Diocese of FortWorth, Inc. Statement on Health Care

Catholic Charities Diocese of Fort Worth, Inc. has been providing services to the Diocese of Fort Worth, which consists of 28 counties, since 1910. Today, we offer over 30 life enhancing programs to meet the every changing needs of our community at large and we do this work to provide help, create hope, and promote justice.

We work with the uninsured on a daily basis and see that greater access to health care is needed by many. Catholic Charities is a proponent of changes in health care policies that are in line with the teachings of our Church and supported by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. Access to health care for the people of North Texas, the state as a whole, and our country, is intrinsic to upholding the dignity of the weak and the vulnerable in our society
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 2:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• The salvation army is a religion that helps out all year round. we see their bells at Christmas time.
    Anonymous

• There is a group of Christian Churches (protestant, catholic and pentecostal) that group together to feed the entire downtown are 2 meal a day. We all might have slightly different views on religion but we all agree Jesus wants us to help. In the name of Jesus Christ, we feed the hungry and clothe the poor.
    Anonymous

• no all good done by any religion is done only to buy people in to there side so it is not good
    Anonymous

• I have no religion, but I do what I can to help those less fortunate than me. At the moment, *I* am one of the "less fortunate", since we don't have much money. But I donate clothes when I get the chance, and I donate whatever money I can spare. My good deeds are not dictated by a set moral code, I do it because it's the right thing to do.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2009