Did you teach your babies sign language?

If so, how old were they? What methods did you use? What kinds of success did you find? etc.

bootsky

Asked by bootsky at 2:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I started teaching him when he was about 2 years old. He is 4 years old now, and knows a few signs. My aunt is deaf and that is why I really want him to learn sign language. Although children can learn earlier to sign. My son picked the signs up easily, however too many signs at once can be confusing. Hopefully I will be starting him on some more signs soon.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I've done a limited amount of sign language with my oldest son. He has Down Syndrome so some language delay could be expected and I wanted to have some communication portal. I didn't start until he was about a year old, he is now 20 months old. He signs book, play, more, eat, baby, ball, dance, and several others, he also signs milk, although he uses it as drink. I was really surprised by how quickly he picked up the signs, as long as you use them consistently when you're talking to them they learn them the same way they pick up speaking.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• No, sorry I did not.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:40 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I used a few signs with my LO before he was verbal. We used the signs for: more, eat, and drink. It worked well for us.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Yes, with my 3rd I started signing certain words to him when he was a baby, and he learned some in school.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I am starting signing with my daughter. Her early intervention specialist recommeded it. The book I picked up was "Sign with your baby" and it seems like it is a good one. My daughter is just now 7 months old (corrected, she was born 11 weeks early) and we have started with "more" and "eat". She hasn't signed back yet, but we don't expect her to for another month or so.
    Gooberzilla

Answer by Gooberzilla at 5:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I am teaching my three to sign. I am just using materials from our library.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2009