the book of shadows and recommendations of other spell books?

I have known about the book of shadows for a long time now, but just like the bible it has different versions? which is the most modern? and would you recommend any other spell books?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 2:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• While there are several books for sale with "book of shadows" in the title there is no one Book of Shadows that lays down the beliefs for Witches, Wiccans or other Pagans like the Bible for Christianity. "Book of Shadows" generally refers to a book put together by an individual witch or coven. As for recommended spell books, it depends on your goals, which tradition you are most interested in, & so on. Are you looking for something general that just has a sampling of modern spells?

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Within traditional lineaged forms of Wicca there are a number of versions of the Book of Shadows, their contents varying to a greater or lesser degree from the early versions belonging to Gerald Gardner, who first popularised Wicca. While Gardner seems to have originally treated the book as a personal journal, it has come to be considered a religious text in most traditions.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Shadows'

the above statement is why I asked. I'm not into religious part or even the traditions. I guess I just want suggestions and info from those that actually use and live by the aid of magic(k)

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 3:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Ahh I see, yes some traditions have a book of shadows that is specific to their path, but they don't share it directly with the uninitiated. Some books have been published that are said to be portions of those books, & Ray Buckland wrote an intro to witchcraft/BOS that was his own spin on one of these, called Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft. I almost always write my own spells, but I have several spell books that I have picked up for ideas or information. I own a large book called the "Elemental Book of Spells" that has a million things in it taken from many sources including Voodoo, Romany folk-traditions, etc. The books of author Scott Cunningham are very popular right now & a new book that is supposedly based on the late authors own BOS is now for sale.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I have been building a Listmania list for some time... Here is what I have so far. There are great books there for everyone!

Great Pagan Education Books for the Novice and Expert

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• A book of Shadows is a book you put together yourself, containing all the knowledge and wisdoms you've gained over the years, as well as spells and rituals, stories and other related items.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I have 2 Books of Shadows. One is for quick spells that I just jot down and not completed. The other one is an heirloom Book of Shadows that has the completed spells with a list of materials as well. When I leave this earthly plane it will be passed on to my children or grandchildren for them to put what they would like to add to it.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:21 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• so everyone makes their OWN book of shadows...hmm...interesting; I love it!
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:47 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Well (blushing), mine isn't technically a "book". I keep the spells I have used, both created by me and from my spellbooks, in a manilla envelope near my altar. And also on floppy discs, so that I can access them when I need to e-mail them to someone. I started one in a notebook, but found it too labor-intensive to keep up. Witches, too, can be lazy!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2009