Eating habits 5 yr old?

My son is 5. He is in no way overweight for his age, he is very thin. With that saying, he's hungry all the time. I'll give him small snacks between meals, but he keeps complaining he's still hungry. I don't want to give him too much because then he doesn't eat his regular meals.

How much does an average 5 yr old boy eat a day?

LilLegs

Asked by LilLegs at 3:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my son eats his meals just to get snacks...i do limit his snacks but he will say that he is hungry so he can try to get me to give him dinner so he can get his next snack...haha.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• keep snacks health, like hummus with carrot sticks

Answer by rkoloms at 3:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• hes a growing boy!! i have a 5yr old girl, and she goes thru stages of either eaing lots, or nothing at all. she eats snacks all the time, whether its a yogurt or cheesestring or grapes, banana, animal crackers..something small..on an average day this is what my daughter eats....breakfast she has one of those carnation instant breakfasts before school...recess she eats a granola bar...lunch she eats 5-6 strawberries, either a yogurt or applesauce..cheesestring, juice, and a fruit rollup..afterschool snack she has whatever she doesnt finish at school..or if she finishes everything i give her a pudding, or i make her some juice from the juicer...she eats a good dinner..meat, rice or potatoes and veggies..then she gets some sort of dessert...whether its a cookie, ice cream, jello..and then after her bath/shower and before bed she either has a yogurt or goldfish..sometimes chips or popcorn...and she is very healthy,&good weight
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My son rarely eats a full meal...of course part of this is because he can't sit still or stop talking long enough to eat...that being said though. He snack a lot. Not bad snack. Apple after breakfast, crackers as I'm finishing up making lunch,lunch, dry cereal an hour or so after lunch, sometimes raisins while I make dinner, dinner and then a bed time snack. he to is very thin. Just remember that for them to stay that thin there metabolism/activity level is always in high gear. If he's a good weight or thin then let him eat he probably is legitimately hungry. Just make sure you are offering good snack choices. Small snacks and that they are on your schedule not his. You set aside a morning afternoon and after dinner snack time and if you want to offer a very small 'hold you up' snack while you prepare meals then do. If not then don't. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:45 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My sons pediatricain told me that it is better for kids to eat 5-6 mini meals a day, rather than 3 full meals. My son and I are both grazers, we eat when we are hungry and stop when we are full. My son is about 5' and 110 lbs. By no means overweight for a 13 yr old boy. He is kinda on the skinny and short side. He has always been a the tiny side from a yr old on. Try smaller meals more often and see if that helps him. He may have a high metabolism so he is hungry faster and more often. He could be in a growing spurt too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 1, 2009