i am so PO!!

this is the 2nd time i took my son to the ER and they wont test his for the flu! They told me the cdc does not require any testing unless you have been out of country or i quess on your freaking death bed...that they can treat flu symptoms but they wont test for flu because pretty much everyone has it. so i call the cdc to complain and they tell me the same thing! I cant believe this. wtf do i have to do to get them to look at my son...his chest sounds fine, his xrays look good...yadayadayada, but no kid should run a fever and have a chronic cough for over a month! Sorry i had to get that off my chest...feel free to unload yourself if you hate hospitals.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Have you tried to go to a different ER or have you brought him to his Doctor? The state and town that I live in if you have one sign of the flu they are treating you for it. GL I hope he gets better soon. I hope you feel better that you got that off your chest.

Anonymous

• everyone is giving me the run around...i feel like this swine flu is some big epidimic that is going around that everyone is gettin and the cdc is trying to hide. I have taken my son to his reg pediatrician twice, an allergy spec., the emergency room twice, i was going to take him to the childrens hospital but i called first to ask them if they would test for the flu and they said no. they said they could only treat him. Well, i can treat my son at home...i keep plenty of fluids in him, i have all the breathing machines they have, he is givin steroids, and already on antibiotics...why would he need treatment from a hospital full of sick people. Why cant they just run test, tell me what the hell is wrong with my kid and send me on my merry way.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Because it doesn't matter if he has the flu or not. He's had it more than 48 hours, which means the only drug they can give, the tamiflu, is useless. So, if they test and he has it, they are going to do the same thing either way. Which means the test is pointless.

No one is trying to cover up a swine flu epidemic. The test costs about $1000. The treatment doesn't change with the results, so it's a useless waste of money. He has flu symptoms whether he has the flu or not. So that's what they'll do.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I agree with Apex. It doesn't matter if he has the swine flu or regular flu, or even just a really bad cold. You treat them all the same. The test won't change a thing.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:43 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• By the time they ran the test and had an answer, Follow the doctor's orders with his treatments, keep him hydrated and comfortable. That's all they're going to tell you anyway. Why take him in somewhere and expose him to god knows what just because you want a test done that is going to tell you what you already know? He's sick, he has flu symptoms, treat it as though he has the flu just as everyone else in the country.

There is no cover up. There is no widespread epidemic anyone anywhere is hiding. You're paranoid. I'm sorry your son is sick. Yes...it can take a while to get over this crud especially if you're received a secondary infection, possibly from the doctor's office itself!
    Anonymous

• Anon :26 has a good point. Doctor's offices and ER are FULL of germs. Your kid probably caught a cold in addition to the flu. The worst place to take a sick kid in to the doctors office, unless you need a prescription.
    Anonymous

• Do you have a regular pediatrician? That is where you should be taking your child not the ER. ER's are for emergencies. They don't have the time to do every test. If you don't have a regular pediatrician, which with the mess our health care system is in try a walk-in clinic. They are more likely to test and get more involved in care.

Yes the system sucks but it is what we have and getting upset won't help.  What does help is learning to use the system better. 

I hope your son feels better soon.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:14 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• If they did an xray and listened to his chest what more do you want. There is nothing they can do to treat the flu other then give something to bring down the fever and they are going to do that whether he tests positive or not. Does it really matter? It costs a lot of money to have that test done. personally I would not be taking my child to the ER for the flu swine or otherwise unless I couldn't get their fever down or they got dehydrated and that is exactly what our doctor has told us to do to avoid catching other bugs.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:31 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Does a cough usually list as a flu symptom? How high is the fever and are you treating it or letting it run its course?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:11 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• wow change your ER. I know people that went in with cold symptoms and got tested on the spot.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 2, 2009