Airline throws 2yo off plane!?!

Southwest Airlines apologizes for removal incident

SAN JOSE -- The airline that kicked a San Jose mother and her two-year-old son off of a recent flight has apologized. A spokesperson for Southwest Airlines says the air carrier regrets the inconvenience Pamela Root and her son Adam went through after flight attendants removed the pair from the plane before take off in Amarillo, Texas. She added the airline fully backs the flight crew's decision.

Root and her son were on their way home to San Jose and were forced to stay the night in Texas with family before flying back to the Bay Area the next day.

he airline says the staff did the best they could to calm the child who was screaming before takeoff. Southwest gave Root a refund plus a 300 dollar voucher to cover her expenses.
----------------------------------------------------

Should Southwest have forced the child off the plane!?! I can't imagine. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They have a right to do it. It's in their customer agreement. They gave her a refund and paid travel expenses. There are bigger issues in this nation. bygones.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I SWEAR this story happened LAST YEAR?!?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Could you imagine a 5 hour flight with a screaming toddler? I think if they tried to help console the child and it didn't work they have many other people to please then just a 2 year old. They refunded her plus gave her 300 dollars, I don't see why anyone would complain about that. Also you have no clue how "prepared" this mom was. Was she a great om who brought everything possibly allowed to comfort the child on a flight... or did she bring him soiled and hungry on a plane with no food? I think they did what they had to to please everyone.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• San Jose mom and cranky 2-year-old kicked off Southwest flight

San Jose Mercury News - Lisa Fernandez - ‎Oct 29, 2009‎
    Anonymous

• Never mind...I found the story I was thinking of:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/133406/toddlers_family_kicked_off_plane_following.html?cat=16

Seems it's not the forst time this has happened.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• And here's another little "gem!"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19735896/

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Yeah, if they think the child needs medical attention they can ask them to not take the flight because they don't want a medical emergency on the plane.

Same reason why the don't let very pregnant women on planes.
    Anonymous

• What kind of world do we live in that we have no more tolerance for children?

I admit, the mother's need to be prepared, bring diapers, snacks, drinks, toys, but we don't know if these mother's did or did not (the one sounds like she did not).

As for the flight attendant suggesting the child be drugged with "you know, baby Bendaryl" she needs mental help or at least re-training and some counseling.
    Anonymous

• A TWO YEAR old removed from a plane cause grumpy old folk don't know how to shut their ears but expect a baby to shut his mouth. go figure
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 4:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I'm sure the staff decided they would rather have ONE pissed off passenger rather than a plane full. You can't expect 100 people to tolerate a screaming toddler for very long. If an adult was creating the same commotion, he or she would have been removed as well.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:55 PM on Oct. 31, 2009