What age did you put your children in religious ed groups?

**If you don't believe in religious ED for children move on this question is not for you***

I just put my 6 and 7 year old in religious classes. They are an hour a week. I am surprised at how much they were able to learn and absorb in one week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• My youngest is 4 and in the preK class. She loves it.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 3:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Do you mind if a non-believer asks a question ;)
    Are these like catechism classes or Bible study or more like Sunday school?

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Since infancy here. And yes, I believe that is religious ed, even at that age in our church they are taught things. For instance, showing the child themselves in a mirror and saying things like...."Look at (child's name), (child's name) beautiful and God loves you." or Look at the zebra (stuffed), God made the zebra just like he made (child's name).

Of course, as they grow they are able to learn more and are taught differently in Sunday School and youth groups in accordance to their specific age at that time.
    Anonymous

• I don't care if a non believer responds. I am not interested in hearing how putting them into class is a form of brainwashing.

There is a negative vibe today towards religion

to answer you question it is more of Sunday school just in the middle of the week. So Wednesday school.
    Anonymous

• Thanks. I believe in a different kind of religious education, but I was curious about what you meant.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Although I'm not a believer... I think they should have programs like this.. for a multitude of religions. It's a good place for children to learn of belief systems, and a great extracurricular activity (which I'm all for).. however, we don't have anything like this for any religion around my area, so I won't be putting my child into a program like this, simply because their are none available.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:39 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• As soon as they were potty trained. We have the Good Shepard course. It really helps the children understand what is going in during the Mass.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 7:47 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Oh- I REALLY wish we had the Good Shepherd course where I live. I tried to do a search and the closest is 4 hrs away. Bummer.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 8:46 PM on Nov. 1, 2009