Are kids worse today than in the 80's (or 70's, 60's depending on your age!)

Did kids REALLY behave better 20 years than they do today? What do you think the difference is and why? Is it better today? Worse? I would love to hear your thoughts!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that children today are worse off. I think when I was going up all the music and TV shows were clean and not so much nudity or swearing and the violence is out of control and the drugs are out of control today. That Rap crap is OUT OF CONTROL and yes I do insulate my children I never see children just out riding here bikes anymore people don't want to lt there childrenout to play in this country anymore gangs are a another thing also. When i was growing up mind you in the same town I still live in children were out riding there bikes and we had neighbood picnics. no anymore.

Anonymous

• I agree. today parents are more distracted and there's more to have to watch out for like internet and kids having cell phones. they can both be positive things but they can also lead to mischief. but kids will find it one way or another. i know i did when i was young. also my mom was able to stay at home with us, of course i came from a family of 6 kids. honestly idk how she did it. but we all grew up fine.

today's society doesn't make for a good growing up experience for children of today. with more parents having to work and sometimes 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet, kids have nobody to monitor them. that's where there's a difference from back then and now. lack of supervision and more things to get into trouble with. we live in a different society. just have to take the good with the bad.
    Anonymous

• Mothers are worse today than in the 1990s. Now the majority of moms have been divorced or single. It's ok to not get married to have a baby. Mothers have sex with and live with a series of men. They have children with more than one man.

Mothers are pierced and tattooed and dress however they want. They swear in front of and at their kids. They use threats and count. Then they don't do anything about the threats. They are much louder.

I think kids did behave better. Their mothers didn't have a lot of the worried mothers have now. They were less stressed. Kids were less stressed. Kids weren't going from one house to another. If they were it was only every other weekend, not some of the custody arrangements they have now.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I think they are worse off today. Just observations, couldnt give you a list of specifics.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Yes and no. I had a pregnant girl in my fifth grade class, and no she was not molested. I think nowadays it's more public, and people have the attitude of well, they're going to do whatever they want. It's the parents acting like there's a one size fits all answer (spankings, usually, or even just timeouts) and not taking the TIME to parent. Parents spend less than 2 hours a day with their kids sometimes, between school and daycare. It's ridiculous!

So, it's not the kids fault. The parents need to wise up. Turn off the tv, heck, turn off the radio some days, cut off the computer, and spend time with your kids. You do not need to shuttle from soccer to ballet to art class. I wish people could see that those kids are often the worst behaved. You have to spend a lot of time with your children to give them consistent messages. Otherwise, they get slightly different ideas from each group they spend time with.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Nope, kids are kids... Parents are worse

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I feel that kids today aren't worse, just more disrespectful, and spoiled. I wasn't given everything I wanted, I had to work for the money if I wanted something. I was also raised in a home that my parents expected to be shown respect just because they are my parents. I was taught to address an adult as "Ma'am or Sir" no exceptions! I do the same thing with my kids, and I get alot of strange looks from young kids and parents, but I also get alot of compliments from older parents and grandparents.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I'm only 34, and even I say that kids today are WAY worse than they were back in the day. It's really damn sad, too.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:44 AM on Nov. 1, 2009