homemade mac n cheese?

I am tired of buying mac n cheese when I can make it myself lots cheeper. The only problem I have, is I have real cheese and I don't know how to make it creamy. Every time I try to melt it, it gets gooey and tough.

kimmy73

Asked by kimmy73 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Food & Drink

• once put in the colander, I put the pasta back in the original pot or a fresh big bowl and grate the cheese! the pasta is still really hot and since the cheese is grated it melts faster! soft cheese like velveeta I cut up really small and stir and stir till it is melted, or I will mix it well, put a layer of cheese on top and stick it in the oven. crispy mac and cheese is soooo good
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Look on the Martha Stewart Website she has a incredible recipe for Mac & Cheese.
    Anonymous

• Rich and decadent: Macaroni & Cheese
    Preheat oven to 350Ëš
    2 ½ C small whole wheat pasta (i use small shells
    2 C Milk
    1 C Breadcrumbs
    4 TBS melted butter
    2 TBS Flour
    3 Eggs, lightly beaten
    1/4 tsp Salt
    ½ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper (i use cayenne)
    ½ Cup Gruyere Cheese, shredded (you can sub cheddar or your favorite)
    1 Cup Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
    Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain but do not rinse. Combine the milk, flour, salt, pepper and eggs in a large bowl; whisk until smooth and well blended. Toss the two cheeses together. Put half of the pasta into the bottom of a lightly greased casserole dish; top with most of the cheese and add the rest of the pasta. Pour the egg mixture over the pasta and cheese. Drizzle with 2 TBS of melted butter and top with the remaining cheese.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Toss the remaining 2 TBS of melted butter with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top.

Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes, or until melted and bubbly.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Make it with a Rue...

I take a stick of butter (Less for a small batch..Mine lasts for days LOL) and then make a rue with Flour...add milk and mix (Its basically a Gravy) then add cheese...

I dont know ANY way that's better...In the Long run you use ALLOT less cheese as well!
    (BTW add Onions at the time of melting the butter to add GREAT flavor!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Nov. 7, 2009