How old does a baby have to be before they can start drinking from a cup?

And do they have to be able to sit up by themselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that if they weren't sitting up then they probably wouldn't have the control to do it themselves. If you were going to hold them and the cup every time, then sure they could probably drink from a cup. I have seen a couple children around 10 or so months doing it all by themselves. My boys did it fully by themselves around 19 months. I never really tried it until they were a little over a year.
    Anonymous

• Premature babies can drink from cups.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Mine were using a sippy cup at 6 months, straw cups at a year and a regular cup at 2.
    Anonymous

• We introduced a sippy cup with water at around 9 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• i've been introducing a sippy cup with water since 5 months. my son will have nothing to do with it.It is the no spill kind though so he would have to know what to do so that defeats the purpose of teh stupid thing and a regular cup of water gets everywhere as you can imagine. but i still try and i also leave the sippy cup there on his tray....its the only object he doesnt pay any attention to,and it sat there for twenty minutes before he even touched it. I think he dislikes them very much at this point lol.
    CurvyMommato1

Answer by CurvyMommato1 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• They don't have to be a certain age. You can try it whenever you want. If you're talking about an open-top cup, you'll obviously have to help them hold it. My siblings never took a sippy or a bottle, they drank from a glass at 4 months and went straight from the breast to the glass. If you're talking a sippy, it's ideal to start introducing it between 4-6 months so that they're used to it by a year, when the bottle is supposed to be taken away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Nov. 1, 2009