Re-thinking weaning from nursing?

My son is a little over 10 months and I started to wean to formula, well we used Similac sensitive - milk-based/lactose-free (there is a lot of lactose intolerance in my family). This formula was what we used if we ever had to supplement without breast milk. Well since he has been eating more of it he has had problems with digesting it so his doctor switched him to ProSobee and the first time he ate it he didn't spit up at all :) However, he won't eat it now (he first had it yesterday), no matter what he will wait until the next feeding to nurse. I am so confused, he didn't have a BM at all yesterday - or today - and he usually has one at least every day. I do know he is teething and this could contribute to him not eating - but he will still nurse...Does anyone have any ideas how to get him to eat the formula to see if it helps him better than the other formula? Or could he not be eating because he is teething? Any ideas?

Ctepanee

Asked by Ctepanee at 5:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, first of all, if he was lactose intolerant he couldn't have your breastmilk, which has large amounts of lactose in it. He probably has a dairy sensitivity, which is completely different. It's where their little tummies can't digest the big proteins in dairy. The bad news is that soy has similar proteins and most babies who have problems with dairy will also have problems with soy.

You're so close... why not just wait the 2 more months and if you really want to wean, wean him then without going to formula? It's better for him, better for you, and you don't have to buy formula. He obviously doesn't like it, and it's stressing you out. What's two more months when he has the rest of his life not to nurse, you know?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Also, this may be unrelated but today he has been very relaxed - he is usually up and into everything and he has been much more cam. He will actually sit in my lap! Which he hasn't done in 4 months (I do not believe he is sick, he isn't acting sick and he does act normal - just not as hyper as usual). Perhaps this is from the teething? He is not a good sleeper and I have though that his sleep may be catching up to him?
    Ctepanee

Answer by Ctepanee at 5:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Unless you have a physical reason for weaning, why are you? The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of two years.
    Why don't you introduce a sippy cup with water, and let weaning occur naturally?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• i'd wait it out 2 months, too. That's a lot of work for such a short time. Unless you need to wean. But since you're rethinking it, I assume you don't HAVE to?
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• He won't eat the formula because he wants breastmilk. He isn't having stools because he is constipated from the formula. Formula tastes bad and breastmilk tastes good.

You baby is having obvious problems from formula. It's not from teething. The other person is right that lactose is the main sugar in breastmilk. It's not lactose in the formula that is causing the problems. Human milk is perfect for human babies. You are lucky your baby will still nurse and you can easily rebuild your supply.

A great breastfeeding website is www.kellylmom.com
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My girls get really picky about what they eat when teething and love to nurse at that time two. If you think he doesn't like it pump some breast milk, mix it with it, slowly increasing the amount of formula over time. Breastmilk is a natural laxative so the stools stay softer and come more often. Formula isn't, give him a while to adjust. Mixing the formula with breast milk will help.

Although it might just be easier to go back to breast feeding.  But I don't know your reasons for weening.  It is a choice you have to make.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:56 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• There was not a particular reason I decided to wean, my son enjoys solids and other foods and has had formula once in a while, I thought it would be easier to wean. I do know that the technical term *lactose intolerant* would mean he couldn't breast feed, I did mean he has that sensitivity to dairy products. Thank you for all your answers, and the support to keep breastfeeding :)
    Ctepanee

Answer by Ctepanee at 10:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Ctepanee... oohhhh ctepanee.. it is not easier to just wean when they are not ready to wean! :)

Some cues that a baby is ready to wean, is if they reject the breast more often and then are willing to eat solids, or you drop a nursing session and they do not care and eat solids/do not eat and are not at all upset by this. Usually this happens anywhere from 14 months, more commonly much older than that, but many people are not comfortable ExtBF, (if they act like this before that it is usually a nursing strike which is not weaning, just grumpiness usually).

If you force the subject (weaning) by dropping nursing sessions, and they are --really really really-- not ready to wean at all, is not surprising if they start rejecting bottles or solids in preference to the breast until they start feeling extreme hunger... and of course they will not be happy about it.

I'd wait, if you're comfortable with waiting. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Just because a baby is lactose intolerant does NOT mean they can't breastfeed! I've seen so many times where a baby could breastfeed just fine and didn't have an issue with the breastmilk, but couldn't handle lactose free formula. Eliminating dairy from your own diet is the answer for a lactose sensitive baby. Bah.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Nov. 1, 2009