Would you think that a four year old..

Would you think that a four year old would be able to understand that Mommy's head hurts and that she was asked to not yell because it makes Mommy's head hurt even more? Do you think that it's too much to ask of a four year old to not scream and yell (happy, playing screaming) while her Mommy's head hurts very much? Or do you think that is asking way too much?

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think at four they can understand how to use a much softer voice(the inside voice, not the outside voice) and that she needs to use the quietest inside voice around you. But it's also very easily understandable that she forgets quite quickly, so she'll need some gentle reminders. If she does good in staying quiet, praise her with lots of hugs, attention and lots of encouraging words, cause it will reinforce this wonderful behaviour. Good Luck~ I have totally been there.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 5:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Depends on the 4 yr old. I had one that would positively have understood. I also had 2 other that would have had no understaning at 4 cause and effect relationship. You can get the same result using a different tactic. Redirect her to a very quiet activity. Puzzles, books, play=doh..watching a program she likes.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Most four year olds are not capable of empathy. Do you have a friend, family member or neighbor you can trade child care with?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My son turns 4 in Jan. I get migraines and if I tell him my head hurts of that makes my head hurt more then he stops. He does understand and is very sweet about it. I don't think it's asking too much; if you bring it up and your little one doesn't get it then I wouldn't punish her/him but I would continue to try to explain so that they do understand.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 6:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• My two year old does. Now, she doesn't remember for more than 20 minutes, but thats to be expected. I make sure I give her reminders at least every ten, and if I suspect she might start getting rowdy.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:59 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Most 4 year olds ARE capable of understanding empathy. Most 4 year olds are capable of understanding a lot more than most people will allow.

Anonymous

• My 3yo understands. Doesn't mean she can always control her volume but she tries.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Ugh, even my 6 and almost 8 year olds don't get it. My 4 yo & 2.5 yo don't get it either. GL with that one momma.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Absolutely.

When I'm not feeling well or I'm sad, my DD will be so loving and gentle. She'll go play in her room, if she wants to be loud, or she'll just sit at her table and color or play with play doh.

My DD is very concerned about others' feelings.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I do NOT agree with rkoloms: 4 year olds do understand not yelling because someones head hurts. Kids are a lot smarter than some people give them credit for. I teach 4 year olds and have gone into work with a migraine and we had whisper day because I had a headache. The kids knew how to act. They asked me throughout the morning if I was ok and if my head felt better. They even asked the next day, when the headache was almost gone and we talked in normal voices. Tell your daughter that if she wants to be loud, she goes outside otherwise she used an inside and whisper voice.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:48 PM on Nov. 1, 2009