How do i get my 6 month old to go to sleep without a bottle?

And a pacifier doesn't help.She will cry till she gets a bottle.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmm, start putting water in it. She probably won't want that and will just push it away. Good luck.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• You just have to take it. Never, ever leave a baby with a bottle to go to sleep with. That will cause their teeth to rot. If she's hungry then hold her and feed her a bottle and then put her to bed. Most 6 month old babies should need a bottle in the middle of the night. That's a long time to expect them to go without eating. If you're talking about the last feeding before bed, then again, hold her while she drinks her bottle then put her to bed. She will not like the change in routine, but she's only 6 months and will adjust fast.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Give her a bottle with water; it won't hurt her teeth. In a couple of months, you can switch it to a sippy cup.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• ThrivingMom....I always hold my baby while feeding her.What i mean is that she will want a bottle just to go to sleep.Like if she wants to take a nap she will only drink very little to put her to sleep .She uses it to soothe herself.Just to clarify.
    Anonymous

• take it away.
    let her cry
    that is why i dotn let my daugher go to bed with one ever
    Anonymous

• My son still goes to bed with a bottle, at 6 months there still growing alot she may still need it to help keep her from getting hungry in the middle of the night. You can wean her of the bottle but at 6 months she still doesnt need alot of water.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• That's why I liked the Eat, Play, Sleep routine better than the Play, Eat, Sleep routine.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 7:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I understand EXACTLY what you are going through. I have a seven month old and she NEEDS her bottle to fall asleep, she will only drink like an ounce or two because she usually just ate, but it soothes her to sleep. She doesnt use a pacifier either and I do put her to sleep with it, it only takes her a few mins to fall asleep and then i grab the bottle. So, she doesnt sleep with it really. Same thing for naps, she just likes a taste. haha. She will have a meltdown if I put water in it and she cries for hours if I dont let her have her last ounce at bedtime. Sooo... I'm dealing with the same thing!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Thanks for the extra info. That makes a big difference.

My son is 18 months old and I still hold and feed him milk before bedtime and naps. You have to get their babies nice and full so they'll sleep. The key is to use Pantley's method and not let your baby fall asleep with the bottle in her mouth. As long as she's eating and then laying down and falling asleep, what you're doing is fine for another year to year and a half. Just don't let her fall asleep in your arms or with the bottle in her mouth. Gently nudge her cheek or chin each time she drifts off. And lay her down drowsy, but awake.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:33 AM on Nov. 2, 2009