How much is too much weight to gain when you're pregnant? I'm scared of gaining too much, and I try not to eat more than I should. My doctor already had a talk with me about watching my weight when I had only gained 10 lbs. I'm lost.

dedra_ann

Asked by dedra_ann at 5:40 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, how far along are you?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Doctors like for you to gain between 25 and 35 for the whole pregnancy.

I gained 78 with my first and 65 with my second and my dr never seemed concerned. My blood pressure was good. I had the right amount of amniotic fluid. I just swelled up really bad and put on a lot of weight.

Unless you start out obese, I wouldn't worry about your weight gain. Just eat a balance diet and don't go nuts on junk food and you'll be fine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Oh, don't worry about it. Just don't pig out on junk. Just remember that you're the one that will have to lose it (that's what my doctor always told me). I have a different doctor with this one and she actually mentioned by 11 lb gain in the first 17 weeks. She's just concerned that it's harder to lose it with subsequent pregnancies.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 6:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• it depends on your starting weight. my friend was very overweight and told only to gain around ten pounds total. i was a few pounds overweight and told to gain 25-30. 35 is supposed to be he max for women in their ideal weight range, well if my Dr is right. i never really researched it.
    BandME

Answer by BandME at 6:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Well I was loosing weight this whole pregnancy and my OB was telling me I had to gain weight, I have gone to the doc 2 times in the last month (Im 32 weeks). The first time I gained 5 pounds in two weeks and 6 pounds the two weeks after that and now she is telling me I need to stop gaining so quickly so I dont know
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 6:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Like the other poster said 25-35 is ideal. The key isn't eating less but eating right, lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats, and grains. Eat when you are hungry, and eat often.

When I was pregnant, both times, I gained very little. With my single baby I only gained 5 lbs. I was eating well and eating a lot. My metabolism just changed and everything went to her. She was full term and almost 7lbs. So next time I thought oh boy I'm in for it now. Then we found out I was having twins. Guess what same story. I only gained 7 this time. They were early 32 weeks but a good size for that stage, almost 4 lbs, and my measurments were all normal. So some women just don't gain.

Concentrate on eating right not the scale.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I gained 50 with both pregnancies. I was hungery the whole time. Eat as well as you can and try not to worry about it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:43 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I really think that as long as you're eating well (fruits, veggies, good proteins, good calcium intake, lots of water) and exercising, there's not much that you can do about your weight. i didn't start gaining more than 2 lbs/month until i hit 32 weeks. i'm about 38 weeks now & at my last appointment, i had gained 6 pounds in two weeks. my doctor said something about how that was a lot & i got pretty pissed, because not only is it hell getting weighed so damn often, i've made every effort to put on as little weight as possible throughout my pregnancy. so, i told her that i didn't want to hear it - i haven't gone up any sizes in my clothes, my face JUST started to look chubby, and it's just my belly that's huge. so far i've only gained 26 lbs., but i honestly don't think there's much you can do about it. unless of course you're pigging out & being a lazy ass all the time!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:48 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I tend to gain alot of weight, 75lbs (1st time) 70lbs(2nd time) and 55lbs (3rd time). So far this time I am almost 24 wks and have gained 30lbs. I am 5'9 so I guess I can carry alittle more weight easier. I am really hoping to stay under the 50 lb mark this time, but I am not stresing too much. I would say not to worry as long as you are eating when you are hungry and staying active :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 11:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• It mainly depends on your starting weight, like has been stated already. I don't remember my starting or birthing weights, but with my first I gained about 25, my 2nd I gained more, my 3rd I don't remember, my 4th I lost, plateaued, and gained (birthed at a lower weight than conceived) and my 5th I lost the whole time, birthed between 30-40 lbs less than conceived. During pregnancy is NOT the time to watch your diet/weight so much, unless you have gestational diabetes. You're not supposed to pig out on whatever you want whenever you want, but you can definitely be more lenient on your self than when you're not pregnant. If you're craving something, give in to the craving, because it's the first sign that your body is lacking something - if you crave meat, you're likely low in iron, if you crave bananas, you're likely low in potassium, etc. Take it easy and eat a well balanced diet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Nov. 1, 2009