Is it normal for a one month old to suddenly eat less and sleep more?

My son will be 5 weeks Monday. Today he just started eating about 1/2 of what he normally does and sleeping more. He's not had one bit of a fever, and already had about 5 or 6 wet diapers. He's not had as many dirty ones, but he's had 2 or 3.

I don't remember this happening with my first son, but it's been a few years.

TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Probably a growth spurt, but keep an eye on him for a couple of days. It *might* the the start of a virus....but probably just a growth spurt.
    Anonymous

• Two things I can think of - either a growth spurt and/or he is getting more efficient at nursing.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• anon i was going to say the same thing. I think it was right around 1 month that my son went through about 2 days where he slept seemingly all day and all night. I started to panic. I'd try to wake him up to feed him and could hardly keep him awake. He'd only nurse on one breast then go to sleep at a time. It was just a growth spurt. Then when he was back to normal he ate with a vengance lol
    angiewith2

Answer by angiewith2 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• The baby can't be breastfed. She says the baby is eating half as much. You don't know how much a breastfed baby eats. Doesn't make sense to be a growth spurt, babies eat more.

He may be getting sick. He may just be sleepy today.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Gailll...stick your advice up your ass.

A mother can know if her breastfed baby is "eating half as much". Maybe YOU couldn't...but the OP might. She didn't say (nor does if freakin' matter) how the baby is fed.

Babies do sleep more during a growth spurt. Not all of them eat more...some do, some don't. Just because YOURS didn't doesn't mean others are the same. You are not the "be all, know all" so stop trying to act like you are.
    Anonymous

• Growth spurts can happen with babies eating more and with babies sleeping more. Every baby is different and even each growth spurt can be different with the same baby. I would keep an eye on it and if it continues for more than a couple of days or if he has any other symptoms then I would be more concerned.
    m_ellingson

Answer by m_ellingson at 8:28 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Babies eat more during growth spurts. Of course this is easy to tell in a bottle fed baby. Breastfed babies tend to cluster feed, a major indicator of a growth spurt. Babies do not eat less during a growth spurt.

I don't know what's up with the one person's anger and why she gives out wrong info. Can't she even go to google and check her facts? She should know there are some of us that are professionals on this site.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2009