diaper supply for new baby

I'm due in 5 weeks and I'm trying to stock up on diapers when they're on sale and I have a coupon. I'm just wondering how many of each diaper size to buy. In other words, about how many packages of each size should I stock up on? I don't know how long they stay in each size or how many diapers they go through in a day. Also, how long does a regular size box of wipes last (3 days, 1 week)? Any advice/input would be helpful.

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 6:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We went through a ton of diapers the first few months, my son pooped a ton!!!! But I would start with may 2 packages of Newborn size they grow fast.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 6:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• We had a supply of about 50 cloth diapers and maybe ten covers (they were mostly hand-me-downs, so they were free!)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• It all depends on your baby, what they weigh when they are born and how quickly they gain after. My DD was in NB for about a week or two, and then size 1 for a month or two, but we used the size 1-2 (pampers swaddlers) for a long time they are amazing!! We buy the big box of papers sensitive wipes for about $12 and they last more than a few months
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 6:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I would have to buy a pack of diapers a week if that gives you an idea on the amount to buy; I can't remember about the sizes though. If this helps usually when baby is over 20lbs they are around a year old; so diapers that size wouldn't be needed for a while.
    Anonymous

• Well, as pp said, it depends on how big your baby is when he/she is born. Whatever you do, don't open your diapers until you're about to use them. I had over 400 Pampers Swaddlers that I couldn't use, because my daughter had a reaction to them (violent diaper rash), so a huge box I had to give away since they were already opened.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• If you end up buying too much of have to switch to a different brand you can usually take them back and exchange them (Walmart). I even opened a pack one time and realized they were the wrong size (too small) so I took them back and they let me switch for a bigger size.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 6:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• depends on how big your baby is when your babies born. My son was just born in june 6lb 8 oz. He was in newborns for about a month, size 1 for about 2 months and started in size 2's about a month ago. I tend to stock up while I'm pregnant just so I don't have to run around too much the first few weeks home.
    angiewith2

Answer by angiewith2 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I would never use wipes because of all the chemicals in them. Look at the list. They usually have propylene glycol a very nasty chemical, I'm allergic to that. Babies don't need any chemicals.

You can make your own or use wash cloths.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• well my baby is 3 months old and shes still in size 1 diapers. She was in Newborn for about a month then moved up. I had one pack of diapers and they only lasted maybe 4 days....Its always best to buy the big box that usually have about 92 diapers they last a bit longer
    lilangel_4206

Answer by lilangel_4206 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• you're looking at 7-16 diapers a day after 2 weeks. i wouldn't get many of the NB size. she'll grow out them fast. i use cloth at home and throw aways when we go out. i've only bought 2 boxes of diapers (90 count). my DD is growing out of them faster then she is using them
    t_creanskisa

Answer by t_creanskisa at 10:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2009