pregnancy and swine flu vaccine

I'm due in 5 weeks. My doc recommended that I get the swine flu shot so I'm scheduled to get it next week. I was hoping to hear from other pregnant women on whether they got it or if they decided against it. If so, why?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 6:21 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I got it.

It's the same ingredients as the seasonal flue shots (except dead swine flue virus instead of dead seasonal flue virus).

...and I always get seasonal flue shots with no problems, so despite the hype and worry around the internet, it just didn't seem like a big deal to me...it was just like getting any other flue shot.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• i got it. i don't fight any illness off well so i felt it was right for me and baby.
    BandME

Answer by BandME at 6:23 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I did not get it. Vaccinations are never tested on pregnant women. They don't know how it will affect the baby either. In fact, pregnant women aren't even supposed to get any other vaccine. The flu vaccine is the only one that is pushed/recommended. If you read the insert that comes with the vaccine it clearly states that the vaccine makers have NO idea how it will affect a pregnant woman and her baby. The manufacturers recommend a pregnant woman get it ONLY when necessary. I have chosen not to get it. My baby is due in 4 weeks and will be just fine if I get sick. Even, worst case scenario, I get so sick and become the first pregnant woman (I don't think there have been any yet) to die from it, my baby is old enough to survive.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• i did get it, but only because we live in an area that has so many tourists from other countries. If I was in an area that had a lower risk of exposure, I would not have gotten it. And I waited until after I hit the third trimester to get it to minimize risks to my baby.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• If I were to become pregnant, I would get it. Pregnant women have died from it in my area(Delray Beach,FL) and I know of at least 2 women who delivered in Palm Beach County and lost their babies but the mothers survived. One baby was delivered at 27 weeks and passed away. I think her lungs weren't developed enough but they had to deliver or else the mother would not have survived. My doc suggested I get one in case I do want children in the future.
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 31, 2009