Breastfeeding twins, need advice and tips, tired of the negativity

I'm a first time mom expecting twin boys in Feb. Everyone IRL has been asking me if I plan on BF and when I say that I am, I get all sorts of negativity. "Oh you're going to be so tired all the time...." & "That's going to be so hard... blah blah blah" (Oh really? I thought having kids was a piece of cake *rolls eyes*) I'm just so tired of hearing it. I know I should just tell people to mind their own business, but I guess I'm just too polite to say anything. I really do WANT to BF my babies, I know it's not going to be easy with two at the same time, but I still want to try. I'd also like to be able to pump so that hubby can also feed them and spend time bonding with them, I know it's not quite the same, but I think it's something that is important too. Has anyone successfully BF their twins, any tips on how to manage two babies at the same time... schedule, etc? Why are people so quick to tell me I shouldn't do it?

Mom2twins2010

Asked by Mom2twins2010 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have twins, but I commend you on wanting to do it! Don't listen to all the people- they're not you. It may be hard- but what isn't about being a parent? People don't think THEY could do it- so they tell you not to. Give it a try, and if you can do it, do it. Good luck!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I have two different friends who successfully breastfed twins; one was 43, the other breastfed two sets. Both were SAHMs. Another friend alternated breastfeeding and formula (she worked and pumped).

You need to do what is best for your family, and tell the negative nancies to take a hike!!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:24 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Breastfeeding twins is easier than bottlefeeding. That's why you have two!

Pumping for dad to feed is a very bad idea. With twins you want to do as many things right as you can and we know this is one of the top 10 stupid ideas. You don't want to introduce bottles or pacifiers. If your babies turn out to be premies you want to get them off the bottles and pacifiers. You want the babies sucking needs to be met at your breasts.

All of the big medical and health groups recommend not introducing bottles and pacifiers until at least 6-8 weeks. In real life they can ruin breastfeeding at any age. Studies show this. People will say my baby did OK. We know bottles and pacifiers cause premature weaning from studies.

Dads can step up and say I won't mess up breastfeeding and there are lots of other things I can do. Bonding from breastfeeding isn't about feeding it's about the hormones oxytocin and prolactin and endorphins.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• A great breastfeeding website is www.kellymom.com
    Anonymous

• congrats on your decision to bf! when are you due? I am also due in feb, but with only one baby. Yes it might be hard to bf two but im not sure how... you have 2 boobies!!!! I cant offer you any advice but i can always try and help support!!!! Good luck and great job making such a wondeful decision. everything will work out well for you and your babies will turn out great. It wont take long for them to establish a schedule and for you all to get the hang of things:-)
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 8:39 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I say kudos to you for wanting to do it, regardless of the bad feedback you're getting. I'd get them well established at the breast before having dad give them a bottle - wait a few weeks to introduce that. There's so much he can do until then to support you and them. I haven't had twins, and I don't know many people with twins, much less breastfed both of them, so I can't help out there - waiting to give a bottle is general for any baby if you want to successfully breastfeed for a good amount of time. Good luck mama, and to repeat someone else - tell the negative nancies to take a hike, they're your babies, you'll make the right decisions for you and for them! ~hugs~
    Anonymous

• I don't have twins, but all I can say is, wow, I think it's great that you are so determined to breastfeed!! I know how worn out I got when I nursed mine, and I only had one at a time!! With your determination, I'm sure you will do great!! I have a friend who has twin girls that are teenagers now and I think she nursed them for a year. I'll ask her for any advice and get back to you.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:41 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Get thee to a LLL meeting! We have two women in my group who successfully nursed twins, and one of them nursed hers for 2.5 years. It can be done. Milk supply is just supply and demand. I would also say get a doula / GOOD lactation consultant to come to the hospital, because the nurses there are not going to be educated on breastfeeding twins. You'll need some reminding that breastfeeding is normal. I needed that with one, because each nurse acted like they were waiting for my milk to just fail. It's really nerve wracking. So amazing that the species has managed to make it this long... *sarcasm*
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:46 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Take it day by day and sleep with them. I heard the football hold is good, to try with twins if they feed on the same schedule. If not then why would it be a problem? Ya, you are going to be tired, but what new mom isn't. And yes you will have to drink more water. But is totally do able. People are quick to say not to because take the easy way out. You take the road less travelled. You rock and your babies will benefitfrom this.  Find a good supportive lactation consultant and hook up with the la leche league for added support and answers.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:53 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• KUDOS ON WANTING TO GIVE THE BEST TO UR LIL ONES!! k i ahvenever breastfeed twins. yesits hard but what is about being a mom right? look next time someone comes up to u and tells you something negative say this, thanks for the adviced but it s my choice and iwant to give them the best .if i ever need adviced i will ask for. if they sayanything else just say my kids my choice end of story. sometimes you ahve to be a lil mean for people to get the hint
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009