If you are not vaccinating, what are you doing to protect your babies/toddlers?

My dad forwarded me an email of ways to protect yourself if you are not getting the swine flu vaccine or if it is not available in your area yet. It said to gargle with warm salt water or Listerine daily, swab the inside of your each nostril daily with a Q-Tip soaked in warm salted water, obviously wash your hands and don't touch your face, drink warm liquids to move the virus from your throat into your stomach where it can not proliferate because of the acid. This is good for us but babies and 2 year olds can't gargle so what are you doing to prevent the virus from getting your young kids sick? My 2 year old is in daycare which worries me about her chances of contracting it. Thanks.

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• Day care is a very high risk situation. I would not put my child in a group day care.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:42 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• To be honest we aren't doing anything differently than normal. Keep them well fed, well slept and clean. My children both have very strong immune systems. However, if they should get sick, we would see the doctor and treat it as we would any other flu.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• NOTHING. I am doing absolutely nothing. It's the freakin flu. Stop worrying. Only 2,837 people have died from it WOLRDWIDE! 36000 die from the seasonal flu every year in the US alone. Someone in my sons daycare had it- I still send him. Wow. Public paranoia.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I'm not worried. My kid had the swine flu, and I suppose that's better than the vax. I know my other was exposed, since they share everything including spit. We are good handwashers. We don't do day care or any other group child care at the moment. I breastfeed the baby. Lots of rest, disinfect shopping cart handles. Just what we can do, and don't stress about the rest.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• The only things im doing are things to keep us healthy and flu free in general, not because im paranoid about the swine flu "pandemic" (note my sarcasm)
    I am upping mine and my families intake of vitamin D...vitamin D in higher than normal doses can actually KILL the flu.
    Im making sure we are eating well, foods rich in vitamin C and other good for you vitamins and antioxidants.
    Getting out in the fresh air and sunshine as much as possible.
    Breastfeeding my 1 year old as it keeps his immune system strong

There are other things, this is just what I could think of off the top of my head!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 12:01 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• I'm a SAHM. My son is allergic to eggs so he can't get the shot. I'm pregnant and do not want to risk him getting swine flu and giving it to me as pregnant women are such high risk. Plus I don't want him to get sick! I've pulled him out of preschool until this settles down and we're staying at home a lot. A few hours of preschool a week is not worth either of us coming down with a bad illness. When we do go out, I'm always using hand sanitizers.
    ClaireW

Answer by ClaireW at 2:06 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Nothing other than make sure we eat a healthy well balanced diet, washing hands and breastfeeding, i nurse my 7 month old and i pump for my toddler.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:07 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• You shouldn't worried about getting the flu if you take care of your immune system, it will take care of you.
    zweedledee

Answer by zweedledee at 11:25 AM on Nov. 2, 2009