Hot dogs?

Do you feed them to your children? How and at what age? I have been terrified of giving my toddler hot dogs because when I babysat as a teen, the baby girl I sat for almost choked on a hot dog. And her mother prepared and fed it to her, not me. I dont eat red meat so we only buy turkey dogs and my SO started feeding them to our son. I was so nervous, but he loves them and we cut them very small for him. I am feeding him one as I type but I am still nervous!

truthteller0722

Asked by truthteller0722 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it's fine if you are really worried cut them in half circles so they are not round; i've been told to cut them that way for little ones.
    Anonymous

• I think she was almost 2 when I started, 1.5 at the earliest. I would cut them up in small circles, then cut the circles in half, so they were very small pieces.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• About age two. We take the skin off, and cut each slice in half. I think it's a bit overkill, as we don't cut anything else up nearly that much. But I also watched a little boy choke on a small piece. I don't know what about hot dogs make them a choking hazard (or more so than another piece of meat the same size), but it seems to be true.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• The recommendation (until age 4, I believe) is to cut them in half lengthwise and then slice them.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:36 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• We started well before they were a year. I'd either use a knife and shop them up and mix into other stuff, or use a fork and smash to smithereens, and mix into something else. When the were old enough to feed themselves/pick up peices, I cut them in quarters lengthwise and then is small peices. I've never had a problem giving my kids hot dogs. It's one food they've never choked on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• My son has been eating Hebrew National Brand hotdogs for almost a year. I started him with 1/4 bites, then went to half circles and now he eats circles.

I like this brand of hotdog because it doesn;t have a lot of fillers. They are a little pricy but his health is worth it.
    mama32177

Answer by mama32177 at 7:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2009