RIGHT OR WRONG?

I blocked my childs father number from my cell phone because he was calling after 10pm and being very disrespectful to me. Now let me say that he dont help take care of her and he always lying about coming to get her and never show up. (not because I blocked his #) I am no trying to keep him from seeing or talking to her but it has been one year and some months that I havent receive financial assisitant from him, now the money is not the matter. I let her go and see him for 2 weeks out of a month but now that has stop because I got engaged. As soon as he found out that I was engaged he stop coming to visit his daughter. I am not trying to keep him away from his daughter I explained to him that he can email me or respect me. And he chose neither one of them. When he calls my phone he say things like "Bitch, let me speak to my daughter" he is a very negative 2 me. Ladies please tell me as a mother AM I WRONG FOR BLOCKING HIS #

mom42107

Asked by mom42107 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• absolutely not- i would tell him that when he learns to call with some respect he can have his number un blocked!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I don't think you're wrong. You gave him another option to contact you. My ex and I have it in our divorce papers that we must communicate thru e-mail so that there is a written record of who said what, b/c he would be so disrespectful and make threats against me over the phone. It's not like you completely cut him off.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• If he is harassing you over things not relating to your daughter, I agree. If he is using your daughter as an excuse to call and harass you, I agree. There are always two sides to a story, so I have to say if you are being rude and refusing to let him speak with her when he calls (at a descent time when she's still awake) then I could see why he's make a remark like that and would not agree with blocking his number. However, it sounds to me like he is a douche bag and you should block your number without any second thoughts. If he truly wants to see his daughter he will come to her and not use the phone as an excuse to get out of it.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 9:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• He is being rude and I would block his # as well. If he's not paying child support then he can't see her. It's really that simple.
    Anonymous

• you are not wrong at all. atleast you gave him your e-mail address- its a means of contact...not to mention, you gave him a chance with the phone and he blew it by being direspectful. congrats on your engagement!
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• You are not wrong for blocking him. He is out of line to be calling after 10pm, and to be so rude to you. You may want to start documenting all his calls, and what he says- as this could be harassment and you could get a restraining order. I would also show it to your lawyer.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon 8:30. Start keeping track of when he calls or tries to call. After 10 pm is crazy--your LO won't be awake so he is just trying to upset you. If he wants to see your LO, he needs to email you & set something up. If you don't have a custody order in place, now is the time to get one. It needs to spell out exactly when he is allowed to visit & to call. It can also state that each parent has to refrain from talking negatively about the other one. If he refuses to cooperate, you can take him to court for contempt. You are totally right in blocking his number. He has a way to contact you if necessary so it isn't like you are totally cutting him off. Good luck to you.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• No you're not. And if he's not paying his child support, he has no rights to see her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• SOunds like maybe he wanted back with you and is jealous. Oh well, he needs to respect you. I don't think it is wrong for you to avoid him but you might want to talk to a lawyer because you don't want to have anything against you. And write down what he's said and the dates when he's said them. That way, you'll have a back up plan in case he ever tries to take your child away from you or anything crazy.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:54 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Nope as long as you have given him another way to contact you you are completely within your rights. Make sure you keep documentation and the calls and the statements. He's out of line and you ARE within your rights to block that number.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:13 AM on Nov. 1, 2009