How do I get through puberty with an 11 year old?

So, my daughter is 11 yrs old. She will be 12 in February. She used to act just like me and we got along so well. She helped me with her sisters, went to school, didn't complain about anything, and when something was wrong she would let me know. Now, she acts just like her dad!! She complains all the time, starting to get lazy, gets smart with her sisters for no reason, lies about liking boys, and if she isn't getting something out of it, she doesn't want to do it. Help!!! Not sure if I can handle this right now. My hormones are going crazy, since I am 3 months pregnant with my 4 child. What do I do?

KaceyKeys

Asked by KaceyKeys at 9:53 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's just the beginning. You have about 6 years left of that.
    Anonymous

• You remind your self not everything has to be a battle. Pick your battles wisely. ( who cares if she "lies" about liking boys?) You take a deep breath, while exhaling drop your shoulders and relax. She is growing up and away.
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 10:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I have a 13 yr old boy, so it isn't as bad as having a girl. My niece is 12 and she is driving me crazy. I keep asking her if she needs Midol, she is sooooo crabby and hormonal. Learn patience and understanding. She is going through a huge change, her body is doing funny things and she doesn't understand all of it. Keep communication open, don't push, don't freak out over her questions. Give her the chance to growup, make and learn from mistakes and guide her to make positive choices. XANAX helps too!! LOL!! Not completely kidding here either. Helps me deal with my hormonal 13 yr old that can irritate me like no one else.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Whatever you do, just don't ever say anything bad about her dad or compare her to her dad. That is unfair, and abusive.

I do know how you feel though and am kinda going through the same thing with my son and my daughter. If I were pregnant right now, I would spend a lot of time in my bedroom crying! YOu poor mom!! You'll get through it. GL.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:18 AM on Nov. 2, 2009

• How do I get through puberty with an 11 year old?

drink wine
    Anonymous

• do NOT tell her "you act just like your dad".

It will do more damage than you can imagine.
    Anonymous

• see if you can go away for a weekend together or a reallllly long car ride and spend the day together. see if she will open up. dont badger her with questions but ask a couple of key questions and let her fill the silence. share a little about when you were young. dont hound her about boys. main key is to get her talking... but dont pressure her. leading questions and utter silence.... well music in the back ground is nice too.
    Anonymous

• Oh its just begun! lol For the mouthing and not doing what she is told she needsa discipline for sure. I wouldnt put up with that at all because if u dont control it now u wont ever control it. When its bad giving them a midol does help believe it or not. For 2 years before my DD actually started her period she was a hormonal swinging fool! OMW it was awful. Her dad even knew when it was "that time of the month" Some of it you do have to pick your battles but you dont have to put up with her crap all the time.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:02 AM on Nov. 4, 2009

• Oh its just begun for you. Well first off, you don't want to tell her she acts just like her dad or anything like that. Don't yell and scream at her. That will just make her want to make you even madder. As for her attitude she would deffinately be getting some sort of dicipline from me if she was my dd. As for learning whats going on in her life try taking a really long car ride with her or going somewhere with her for the weekend. Good luck!!
    momof21993

Answer by momof21993 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• I NEVER TELL HER THAT SHE ACTS LIKE HER DAD. I AM JUST TELLING YOU ALL THAT SHE ACTS LIKE HER DAD.
    KaceyKeys

Answer by KaceyKeys at 11:11 PM on Nov. 4, 2009