Why do people leave the porch light on if they have no intention of handing out candy?

Was the 2 hours of kids screaming and ringing the doorbell not a clue? Or the notice in the paper saying ToT was from 5 to 7 and kids should only go to houses with the lights on (the same notice that's in the paper and on the news every year)?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:54 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We had our light on then turned it off when we went out Trick-or-Treating then turned it back on when we came home; frankly it didn't seem too complicated to me :)
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Sometimes the lights are on automatic circuits now days. They come on at dark. Some people I know don't have switches for their porch lights. :)
    How about just buying your kid candy?
    Anonymous

• They do have an override - we managed to shut ours off until we got home just fine. Are the people with the automatic lights really really stupid too?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:58 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• some people also don't know thats what the porch light on means. i know i have kids come pounding at the door and all the lights are off in the front of the house
    t_creanskisa

Answer by t_creanskisa at 10:05 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• You can turn lights off even if they come on automatically.. With that said, yea it annoys me there is the "rule" for a reason.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 10:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• mine are motion-sensored..kids still came up, thus 'lighting the way'...kids will come to houses with lights off..they get excited, i guess.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Maybe it's habit?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:06 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• we live in the mountains, there's not that much light, we keep it on because it is pitch black outside. Often my family just drops by and I'd like for them to be able to see my driveway.
    Anonymous

• I am sure there are people who are very uncomfortable not having the light on outside. My grandmother is one of them. I think it is ridiculous to be annoyed with them. On the other hand, they hopefuly are not getting upset with the kids - their light is on! (Our light are motion sensitive too - thankfully the front door one is not very sensitive at all! We never have trick or treaters and our kids are in bed at 7 so I am glad!)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Maybe security? The light will be on when they get home?
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 10:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2009