BF moms Help!

I've had a plugged duct now for 2 days... I thought it was getting releif earlier when my daughter nursed a long time on that side.... but it still hurts.... what can I do? and How do I know if it turns into an infection?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 10:11 PM on Oct. 31, 2009 in Health

• There will be no doubt when/if it gets infected! You could have a fever and be vomiting. Take a hot shower and try to express it with your hands while under the water. That is the only way I have ever cleared mine (except for when my child nursed it out). I have sometimes had trouble for 4-5 days before it cleared. It is painful, but keep nursing. Alternate with pumping if you need to. Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• I believe you should nurse in a way that the baby's nose is on the same side as the plugged duct.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• When I had mastitis, I didn't throw up, but I did have a slight fever, and some redness. I could also feel a little heat around the infected area.

The redness and heat and are good early signs you can catch before it gets too bad.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2009

• Keep nursing her on that side, but in different positions - holding her different ways gets different ducts cleared faster. Also massaging that area while she's actively nursing helps. A heating pad or warm shower directed at the area can help. Massaging it even while baby's not nursing can help. And like someone else said, if it feels hot, gets red, and/or you start feeling flu-like symptoms, call the doctor immediately - flu-like symptoms are the symptoms of mastitis.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• What worked for me was applying a heating pad to the lump for 15 minutes, then getting on my hands and knees over DD who was lying on the floor, and nursing her that way. Oh, and try to position yourselves so her chin is pointed towards the lump.

If you have reoccurring plugged milk ducts, it could possibly be a low grade breast infection and you may need a round anti-biotics. So, go see a Doc if it keeps happening.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 7:52 AM on Nov. 1, 2009

• Hot compresses and massage

Answer by rkoloms at 8:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2009